• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Advice Request: Hotels in Savannah

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
In August I will be staying 3 days and 2 nights in Savannah and I am looking for a medium priced hotel (135 or less) that is within close walking distance to River Street, and has a pool (it's going to be scorching in August)

My options so far are:

Inn & Ellis Square: $119 - pool, cont. breakfast, free wifi
Doubletree: $103 - pool, free wifi
Hilton Garden Inn: $116 - pool, biz center wifi
Holiday Inn Express: $129 - pool, cont. breakfast, biz center wifi
Four Points by Sheraton: $105 - pool, free wifi

I would really appreciate any advice on these hotels, or similarly priced alternatives.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It would perfectly meet what you need. It was nice (not fancy) and very clean. The location was perfect and it was fairly new. My one complaint is that the room was kinda small for 4 adults (it seemed smaller than normal). The Hampton was across the street and it seemed to be the same and would be another option. I loved Savannah and want to go back again soon.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for some priceline bidding. I don't know your exact dates, but I just did a quick check and I think you'll be able to get a room in the area (although there's the potential to be just slightly farther away from the river than you might want) for significantly less than $100/night.

If you've never done it before let me know and I can help you through the process. I'm guessing you could save around $100 on the trip if you go this route.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for some priceline bidding. I don't know your exact dates, but I just did a quick check and I think you'll be able to get a room in the area (although there's the potential to be just slightly farther away from the river than you might want) for significantly less than $100/night.

If you've never done it before let me know and I can help you through the process. I'm guessing you could save around $100 on the trip if you go this route.

My point in staying so close to the river, is that I will only be there for a short time, and since it's going to be so hot, I didn't feel like walking 10+ blocks to get somewhere. I'm spending a day at Tybee Island as well, so that cuts out my Savannah time as well. Bidding is not out of the question though. I suppose the free shuttles and trolleys could neutralize the distance issue.

That's fair. Pricelineing always requires weighing the savings versus the potential hassle. Definitely do what makes the most sense.

I prefer a historic place when I go to Savannah. To me it's not the place to stay at a holiday inn. But that might just be me. Guess you could figure out my answer to your question based on that. Have fun. Savannah is a great place

In August I will be staying 3 days and 2 nights in Savannah and I am looking for a medium priced hotel (135 or less) that is within close walking distance to River Street, and has a pool (it's going to be scorching in August)

My options so far are:

Inn & Ellis Square: $119 - pool, cont. breakfast, free wifi
Doubletree: $103 - pool, free wifi
Hilton Garden Inn: $116 - pool, biz center wifi
Holiday Inn Express: $129 - pool, cont. breakfast, biz center wifi
Four Points by Sheraton: $105 - pool, free wifi

I would really appreciate any advice on these hotels, or similarly priced alternatives.

The Doubletree and the Hilton Garden Inn are literally steps from City Market and across the street from the River Street access at Chart House. I've stayed at both and they are convenient and clean. Unfortunately neither have self-parking so you'll be paying an extra $15 per night for parking but thats pretty reasonable.

As someone else mentioned, you might want to check priceline or hotwire and try to get a 3.5 or 4 star hotel in your price range - you might luck out and get the Hyatt, Westin, or Marriott. I think the Westin is the only 4 star in Savannah and its a very nice resort property although you have to take the free water taxi to get to River Street.

I prefer a historic place when I go to Savannah. To me it's not the place to stay at a holiday inn. But that might just be me. Guess you could figure out my answer to your question based on that. Have fun. Savannah is a great place

I would prefer somewhere more historic too, but none of those places have pools, and they are all, with the exception of the Planters Inn, +50 bucks out of my price range.

A $150 hotel or B&B with taxes, fees, and parking ends up being about $190 a night.

I hear ya. The other places you mentioned are convenient and good places to stay. You can't lose.

All of those hotels are fine and most are only a couple of years old. The Inn at Ellis square used to be a Days Inn. If you are going to be hitting up the bars, stay closer to City Market.

There are a lot of good B&Bs in the area, but most are further away from River Street. Check the Planters Inn and the Presidents Quarters, they aren't too far from River St.

Hit me up if you want some recommendations on places to go/eat.

savannah.jpg

I'm going with the Double Tree, it's a 3.5 star with pool, free, wi-fi, complimentary breakfast, and it's across the street from river street and city market, plus I found it for $98 bucks on priceline.

Sounds like you did pretty well. Have fun.

The Avia is probs out of your range, but you might get a good rate on priceline. It is very central and a pretty sweet property.

I'm going with the Double Tree, it's a 3.5 star with pool, free, wi-fi, complimentary breakfast, and it's across the street from river street and city market, plus I found it for $98 bucks on priceline.

Sounds like you've done well. Savannah is absolutely one of my favorite places. I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on the corner of Abercorn and Bay Streets. Any of those in that area are completely convenient to walk anywhere downtown. Enjoy your stay and don't forget to get a to go cup on your way out of the bars haha.

cancel the whole thing and go to charleston instead.

Back