• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I picked up IrishSlim's novel and the book of short stories he edited/contributed to.....the first three short stories are all very in different ways. I havent gotten to his novel Young Blood yet

I'm guessing you guys are not persuaded by different components, however.

Probably a pretty good guess.

I really liked Youngblood. He's a pretty damn good writer and makes you feel like you know the area/military even if you've never been a part of it.

Impulse bought Infinite Jest yesterday. Read some of the comments here before I started so I thought I had a reasonable idea of what to expect, but it didn't prepare me at all for even the first 20-30 pages.

In a way it's somewhat amusing because I tend to think in asides like that and lack focus to stay on task, so I relate well to the off-path writing as far as what is being written, but much like Say Hey, I already feel like I'm missing something and that will appear to continue on.

Relying on InfiniteSummer for a guide to reading.

Impulse bought Infinite Jest yesterday. Read some of the comments here before I started so I thought I had a reasonable idea of what to expect, but it didn't prepare me at all for even the first 20-30 pages.

In a way it's somewhat amusing because I tend to think in asides like that and lack focus to stay on task, so I relate well to the off-path writing as far as what is being written, but much like Say Hey, I already feel like I'm missing something and that will appear to continue on.

Relying on InfiniteSummer for a guide to reading.

Two bookmarks, a dictionary and google. You will be fine. Enjoy.

This book is an absolute masterpiece and amazingly ahead of the time it was written.

I am the first to admit that I am sure I have missed a ton throughout the first part of the book, but DFW is nothing less than a genius in tapping into the human core, as well as explaining something that you have never felt. The short story from pages 17-27 on waiting for the drugs is only what I can imagine is a dead-on internal battle for anybody who has ever been addicted to drugs.

That alone is probably a better short story than 99%+ of people on Earth could ever write.

New George Saunders novel (his first) out yesterday - Lincoln in the Bardo. That dude is a damn genius, so I look forward to reading this (eventually).

Currently reading Travels With Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck which has been amusing in that it was written in 1960 but even back then as Steinbeck is traveling around the United States in basically a camper, he complains about traffic and urban sprawl and folks not being friendly anymore. So maybe when we Make America Great Again, we'll need to go back to like the 1910s or something because apparently the 1950s were not the halcyon days either.

He also has several pages wherein he indicates a belief that mobile homes will be the new and exotic homes of the future, and that's pretty funny.

I was blown away by Tenth of December and CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, but understand it might not be for everyone.

Rereading Democracy in America and The New Jim Crow (haven't actually read this one all the way through I don't believe, although read portions of it for different projects I've had at work). Democracy in America is prescient for its period and perhaps more relevant now than ever. Have Lolita queued up next.

Finished up A Confederacy of Dunces a few months back and thought it was really well written even if I didn't love the entire plot.

Ignatius Reilly is one hell of a character.

I mean I haven't read it, but something can't be ahead of its time because it was written in 96? Truman Show was made in 98. :noidea:

Finished up A Confederacy of Dunces a few months back and thought it was really well written even if I didn't love the entire plot.

Ignatius Reilly is one hell of a character.

Was that a history of the Wake boards?

Was that a history of the Wake boards?

8275f088fffce1fc99230e86a7488155.jpg

Last edited:
Back