• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

when i go full brasky and sell out the dream urban lifestyle and move to winston i'll have a big ole house instead of a tiny apartment and i can own as many books as i want, then nobody can stop me

when i go full brasky and sell out the dream urban lifestyle and move to winston i'll have a big ole house instead of a tiny apartment and i can own as many books as i want, then nobody can stop me

We actually got rid of the one bookshelf we owned in our tiny apartment because there was no space for it in our sell out house.

We have built ins in our bedroom and the kids’ playroom but they hold very few books. Our new office furniture will have shelves but I’m guess they’ll be largely decorative.

If you're only interested in OGB's stuff, that's cool. I thought the original question was an open one.

it was, but then you corrected the intent of my question and then gave a nanny-nanny-boo-boo response when I clarified I meant what I said

hardly worth dragging this out

just curious about folks' book collections

the only time I hate my books is when I move

yep

always

it's a rare but great feeling when you are able to lend a book to a friend that they end up loving

it's a rare but great feeling when you are able to lend a book to a friend that they end up loving

totally

i have two examples that have been big hits and i've bought multiple versions to replace my old copies

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
Everything Matters! - Ron Currie

my sister has like six of my books rn and hasn't started any of them and when i see her posted up at the bar reading a new one that isn't one of the ones i lent, i get a little salty, but try not to be a dick about it

it was, but then you corrected the intent of my question and then gave a nanny-nanny-boo-boo response when I clarified I meant what I said

just curious about folks' book collections

I do this for a living, so I figured I was just adding some nuance to your question. Like you do when people ask about your specialization on other threads.

It's also ok if you just want to talk about loving books. Cause I do that too

Rare book collectors are weird. I deal with them not infrequently.

do you read those books?

which is the rarest?

I do not read the books. Part of that is because I have a two-year-old running around the house, but I'm not sure I'd trust myself even if I didn't. I have another wall in the same room covered with the same built-ins that house my reading material. Mostly hardcovers, a few Easton/Franklin bindings, but mostly run of the mill.

The rarest book would have to be the 1540 Synodi Nicenae. Beyond that, I'm not real sure, because I'm not looking for rarity per se, i.e. purely the number of copies that were published. I'm looking for sets that are certain editions, that are finely bound, and that survived ~150 years complete and in good condition. For example, there are plenty of Goldsmith sets out there, some of them more nicely-bound than mine, but I wanted a set that has hand-colored illustrations, and those are relatively hard to find. Bronte was the set that surprised me the most in how difficult it was to find.

The hardest to find was Bancroft's History of the US. I actually bought my set from a seller who, unbeknownst to me, was critically ill. She passed away before shipping the books, and her father contacted me to say he was cancelling the sale and refunding the money. I didn't have the heart to ask him to send the books, and spent the next year and a half looking for a replacement before the same set popped up and I snagged it. Most of my books are published and presumably bound in the UK, so my guess is that the set was of relatively little interest over there and to fine bookbinders. Plus, two of the books were published later on, so many of the sets that are out there are 8 volumes instead of the full 10.

Almost all the books I read these days come from the library.

I do have a large collection because my high school got a huge donation of books on account of my home area having one of the lowest literacy rates in the country. Students were allowed to take whatever they wanted. I have almost every penguin classic that existed in the late 90s. The covers are all cut and stamped “not for resale.”

which is the rarest?

rarity is not always the right category, ironically, for discussing rare books...For collectors, personal taste is often as important as rarity, though it certainly plays a part

lol telling me what I actually should be wanting to know instead of what I asked

I'm not looking for rarity per se, i.e. purely the number of copies that were published. I'm looking for sets that are certain editions, that are finely bound, and that survived ~150 years complete and in good condition.

ooooops

lol you mean after he said this:

"The rarest book would have to be the 1540 Synodi Nicenae"

??

I don't understand what you mean.

Again, what is rare is relative and subjective

Read “Cloud Cuckoo Land” over Fourth of July and loved it. Thanks to Townie for that one.

Just wrapped up “Endurance” by Alfred Lansing which tells the story of Ernest Shackleton’s failed Antarctic trip and the quest for survival that ensued. Fantastic story of grit, leadership, and the will to survive. Couldn’t put it down!

Read “Cloud Cuckoo Land” over Fourth of July and loved it. Thanks to Townie for that one.

Just wrapped up “Endurance” by Alfred Lansing which tells the story of Ernest Shackleton’s failed Antarctic trip and the quest for survival that ensued. Fantastic story of grit, leadership, and the will to survive. Couldn’t put it down!
Cloud Cuckoo Land was amazing. Glad you liked it too

Endurance is incredible. I could not put it down either.

Just finished "Detransition, Baby"

I believe it's the first book by a trans person I've read, though not the first with a significant trans cast of characters

Makes me feel (belatedly, I know) that i read too much cis white guy writing

It was a great mix of sad, hilarious, dramatic, and thoughtful

Another in a somewhat similar vein or at least with a brilliant LGBT through line this year was Girl, Woman, Other

Endurance is incredible. I could not put it down either.

This is possibly my very favorite nonfiction book of all time, right at the top with The Boys in the Boat and A Beautiful Mind. Obviously the story itself is so incredible as to be unreal but the writing is really compelling also. Frequently revisit it and have read it so many times and it just never loses the appeal.

Back