• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Yeah. That was my biggest concern: do I really want to read 1000+ pages and then pick up a book with the same arc for 500 more?

I’m just going to go with Demon Copperhead. Thanks for the advice, all.

Last edited:
Started reading My Heart is a Chainsaw this Week and am loving it so far. It’s doing a lot of what the original Scream did that made it unique (meta-slasher, critique of genre), while bringing in social critique as well. About a third of the way through. I hope the payoff has been as good as the setup has been.

"Killers of the Flower Moon" isn't really resonating with me. It's a great story and I'm going to finish it, but the construction of it is all over the place. I realize it's someone piecing together the facts in a way that is supposed to build suspense, but so far it's essentially just a few pages on the deaths of each person back to back to back to back. It reminds me of a less coherent "I'll be Gone in the Dark." As a concept, I really like it and it's definitely a story that should be out there. I actually think the movie will be more interesting as it will have to flesh out the characters while having the same premise and suspense arc.

Last edited:
"Killers of the Flower Moon" isn't really resonating with me. It's a great story and I'm going to finish it, but the construction of it is all over the place. I realize it's someone piecing together the facts in a way that is supposed to build suspense, but so far it's essentially just a few pages on the deaths of each of person back to back to back to back. It reminds me of a less coherent "I'll be Gone in the Dark." As a concept, I really like it and it's definitely a story that should be out there. I actually think the movie will be more interesting as it will have to flesh out the characters while having the same premise and suspense arc.
Good take imo

"Killers of the Flower Moon" isn't really resonating with me. It's a great story and I'm going to finish it, but the construction of it is all over the place. I realize it's someone piecing together the facts in a way that is supposed to build suspense, but so far it's essentially just a few pages on the deaths of each of person back to back to back to back. It reminds me of a less coherent "I'll be Gone in the Dark." As a concept, I really like it and it's definitely a story that should be out there. I actually think the movie will be more interesting as it will have to flesh out the characters while having the same premise and suspense arc.
My favorite book of 2017. I no longer recall the construction. I will put I’ll be Gone in the Dark on my list.

Yes. I read it and enjoyed it but I doubt that I could tell you much about it now.

I read Wendell Berry’s essay “A Native Hill” yesterday and I think that is going to stick with me for long time. I’ve long been a fan of his poetry, which may be a more accessible route for a similar message. Love the collection (and poem) “Peace of Wild Things”.

While also on poetry, I really enjoyed Raymond Antrobus’ “The Perseverance” — some really clever use of language to share the experience of growing up deaf. Check this reading out if you’re curious:

Always on the lookout for poetry recs, preferably modern but I’ll take anything

Started reading My Heart is a Chainsaw this Week and am loving it so far. It’s doing a lot of what the original Scream did that made it unique (meta-slasher, critique of genre), while bringing in social critique as well. About a third of the way through. I hope the payoff has been as good as the setup has been.
Finished it and the payoff was great and gory AF. I liked it a lot more than The Only Good Indian (which I also liked).

Found out the follow up to MHIAC, Don’t Fear the Reaper, came out this year and is now in my library queue.

"Killers of the Flower Moon" isn't really resonating with me. It's a great story and I'm going to finish it, but the construction of it is all over the place. I realize it's someone piecing together the facts in a way that is supposed to build suspense, but so far it's essentially just a few pages on the deaths of each person back to back to back to back. It reminds me of a less coherent "I'll be Gone in the Dark." As a concept, I really like it and it's definitely a story that should be out there. I actually think the movie will be more interesting as it will have to flesh out the characters while having the same premise and suspense arc.
Read the Wager also. Very good

Just finished Bunny by Mona Awad, no clue what to think. Possibly great? I got very lost in the third section. Pretty cool ideas though.

Finished the second of the poppy war trilogy. It was…fine. First half of the first book I thought was great, but since then it’s been just okay for me. Debating whether to get the third one or not.

Also recent finished Demon Copperhead which was the best book I’ve read in years.
Just finished the Poppy War and this was pretty much my take. I enjoyed the first half of the book much more than the second - it seemed character development and growth dropped off (or never materialized from the promise it had at the start). It was the opposite from Babel, which was fine/good and then the ending made it very good. This one never really lived up to its promise and I don't care enough about the main character to continue in the series. It didn't make me want to stop reading it, but it wasn't anything great.

Also, it's interesting to contrast how second books/ending affect how one remembers the first.
Big fan [of the Poppy War]. Immediately bought the second one and am in the middle of it now. I'm a sucker for a good bildungsroman, everything at the school was very much my jam. Liking the rest so far too.

Yeah funny to look back. I really did love the first half of the first book, and still think it was great. And the second half could have been fine if it built to something more interesting. But it just never got there for me in book 2 and I gave up on the series.

Reading determined as a trade off book club pick amongst buddies to get some to read fiction. Ive enjoyed it thus far, but it will be interesting to see what he decides to do with the point once he feels like he has beaten making it to death.

Last edited:
I read Wendell Berry’s essay “A Native Hill” yesterday and I think that is going to stick with me for long time. I’ve long been a fan of his poetry, which may be a more accessible route for a similar message. Love the collection (and poem) “Peace of Wild Things”.

While also on poetry, I really enjoyed Raymond Antrobus’ “The Perseverance” — some really clever use of language to share the experience of growing up deaf. Check this reading out if you’re curious:

Always on the lookout for poetry recs, preferably modern but I’ll take anything

When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

I really love the way John Le Carre writes
Got Call for the Dead and Little Drummer Girl on hold at the library. I've knocked out The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Tinker so far. Really enjoy how he makes the bureaucracy of spycraft some seriously riveting shit.

Back