• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

That's about 8 more pallet types than I previously knew existed

That's the way to do it. This could have been a unique opportunity for New Belgium. And it definitely sounds like Oasis Brewing is ready to play ball in any manner that isn't excessively costly (for them) litigation.

See, everything I've read goes the opposite way: New Belgium was willing to play ball and Oasis was telling them to shove it.

Hey bros, I really like delicious IPAs. That being said, I'd like to find some new ones to try and also a new style to delve into as well. Love IPAs but want to expand my pallet as well.

why are you only calling out bros?

:umkc:

of note - i've been drinking delicious IPAs all evening and i am drunkypants.

For IPAs, if you have not tried them, here are a couple that I usually go to

Bells Two Hearted
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin
Jai Alai IPA

If I think of more, I will add them.

I just had a Brew Free or Die IPA from 21st Amendment this weekend. Liked it a lot. Also dig Hopsecutioner from Terrapin, and it's hard to go wrong with Dale's from Oskar Blues.

Stories like this are really frustrating: big craft breweries bullying small craft breweries over trademarks for a beer that doesn't exist yet.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...t=f7aac2ae5881750c0d&cmpid=twitter-premium#/0

Basically, a new Austin brewery (Oasis) has a really good sessionable pale ale called Slow Ride. New Belgium Brewing already has the trademark for "Slow Ride," and plans to release a beer with that name, or a version of it, eventually.

Kinda think Oasis should just call their beer the Cease and Desist Pale Ale and then tell the story of the lawsuit on the cans. A local Houston restaurant did this with a burger when In N Out sued them over the burger's name.

Slow Ride already exists. I just had it a week or two ago.

Yep, looks like the Houston Chronicle made a mistake (not surprising--it's an awful rag). Slow Ride exists, and starts distributing to Texas this month.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=49b5b790-c963-4b6a-b4c1-2c1a3cf7f0cb

Indeed. I believe it's a pretty old recipe, too. They just started bringing it back.

newspaper article got it wrong. Oasis screwed up. Here are the facts: http://www.newbelgium.com/slowride/trademarkcomplaint.aspx

IPAs:

Foothills Jade
Stone "Enjoy By" series
Noda Hop Drop and Roll
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter

Winston-Salemites should check out Troegs event at Mellow Mushroom 3/19. Dunno if they'll still have Blizzard of Hops but that has been a great addition to their lineup.

Did you like the 3.14.15? I had it last night for the first time and loved it. It might be the first Stone that I'd go out of my way to drink again, which is unfortunate given the whole drink by 3.14.15 thing...

They're all the same recipe, so the 4.15.15 will be the same thing. Its just that particular beer has a short shelf-life.

IPAs:

Foothills Jade
Stone "Enjoy By" series
Noda Hop Drop and Roll
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter

I have a hard time finding this in Charlotte. It's definitely my favorite Foothills beer. Saw a 22oz of it at the store Monday....do they do 4 or 6 packs of this?

Tried the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin. Damn, that was good. Will be a good spring/summer beer. Need to try the regular Sculpin.

I have a hard time finding this in Charlotte. It's definitely my favorite Foothills beer. Saw a 22oz of it at the store Monday....do they do 4 or 6 packs of this?

Tried the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin. Damn, that was good. Will be a good spring/summer beer. Need to try the regular Sculpin.

at this point I believe they only do Jade bombers. Both Grapefruit and regular Sculpin are really good as well.

Winston-Salemites should check out Troegs event at Mellow Mushroom 3/19. Dunno if they'll still have Blizzard of Hops but that has been a great addition to their lineup.

That's actually my least favorite troegs beer I've had thus far. It wasn't bad or anything, just unremarkable.

Had some troegs Javahead last night. Pretty solid beer.

They're all the same recipe, so the 4.15.15 will be the same thing. Its just that particular beer has a short shelf-life.

They say that, but the bottles have definitely tasted different to me.
Maybe part of the recipe has a random element. Like any given one of the hops has been sitting in the warehouse a lot longer this batch than last batch.

Edit: looked up my ratings, quite a bit of variance:
WmtLPvI.png

Last edited:
+1 to fresh squeezed, nugget nectar, and enjoy bys. pliny is my fave, but it's easier for me to get than a noda or heady topper for instance. i did really like those when i've had them though.

They say that, but the bottles have definitely tasted different to me.
Maybe part of the recipe has a random element. Like any given one of the hops has been sitting in the warehouse a lot longer this batch than last batch.

Edit: looked up my ratings, quite a bit of variance:
WmtLPvI.png

Yeah, agreed on the bottles being distinctively different - and I'd put similar ratings as you. Didn't care for the 2/14/15 or the 9/20/14 so much (relative to the others), but really really enjoy this batch. I think last year's 4/20/14 was my favorite and this is a bit more reminiscent of it. A bit brighter, the hops hit more up front.

Back