• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Bosses: Educate me on Scotch

This should definitely be the catalyst for a Pit Lecture Series (or whatever we want to call it) on scotch.

After reading through several of the above posts I landed on none of them. I enjoyed the advice and I'm definitely putting it to use to enjoy a little Scotch myself.

I had no price limit, but actually didn't end up spending that much money. I went with Auchentoshan, the recommendation of two people I know here in NC who are Scoth connoisseurs. They both recommended I go that route for it's uniqueness and how much they enjoy drinking it.

auchentoshan.jpg

After reading through several of the above posts I landed on none of them. I enjoyed the advice and I'm definitely putting it to use to enjoy a little Scotch myself.

I had no price limit, but actually didn't end up spending that much money. I went with Auchentoshan, the recommendation of two people I know here in NC who are Scoth connoisseurs. They both recommended I go that route for it's uniqueness and how much they enjoy drinking it.

auchentoshan.jpg

Not a bad choice at all. It is definitely unique. The author of a book I recently read refers to it as his Christmas Scotch, because of the hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Let me add Talisker to the list of outstanding single malts. I like the isle Scotches obviously because they have a taste of the sea in them. The highland ones taste a little too sweet for me.

My current bottle is Talisker. The peppery zing slows me down a bit though so I can't drink too much at one time. Would definitely be a good bottle to have if I had the money to keep multiple bottles around at one time.

I realize the OP has already made his purchase, but I have to recommend Macallan cask strength to anyone looking to try something tasty. That + a cigar= good day.

As a side rant, is there a reason that you can generally only by a fifth of scotch instead of say a pint? Kind of makes it difficult to try a lot of the brands. I'd much rather take a $20-30 plunge on a pint of something that I may or may not like than shell out $60+.

Laphroig is like a burn pile in your mouth.

I own a bottle and I think I've had 2 drinks from it in 3 years.

They did, however, deed me ownership of a 1mx1m piece of property on the island though. So that was nice.

Laphroig is like a burn pile in your mouth.

I own a bottle and I think I've had 2 drinks from it in 3 years.

They did, however, deed me ownership of a 1mx1m piece of property on the island though. So that was nice.

It is certainly a peat filled variety. Once you get the taste for it though, it is a very nice alternative. I keep a bottle on hand to show people what a peaty scotch should be.

I like all the bottles discussed on this thread. Except the one the OP purchased. I have not tried that one.

Johnny Walker Blue is a superb blended scotch, and its price tag shows it - @ $125. I am not a huge scotch drinker, but that stuff is goooood.

Johnny Walker Blue is a superb blended scotch, and its price tag shows it - @ $125. I am not a huge scotch drinker, but that stuff is goooood.

Good stuff. Very Smooth. Overpriced, imo.

But single malts is where the action is.

Back