• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Facts Thread

On this date in 1937, the Hindenburg burst into flames & crashed while docking in Lakehurst, NJ.

hindenburg1.jpg

BDD_newman.jpg

52 Years and $750 Million Prove Einstein Was Right

In a tour de force of technology and just plain stubbornness spanning half a century and costing more than $750 million, a team of experimenters from Stanford University reported on Wednesday that a set of orbiting gyroscopes had detected a slight sag and an even slighter twist in space-time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/science/space/05gravity.html?_r=1&ref=science

WO.:willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

Tomorrow is the 99th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. We should have a group viewing of this to celebrate:

titanic2.png

Does anyone else see the face in the main stack?

On today's date in 1686, Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit was born. Thanks to him we will know exactly how frickin' hot it will be today by looking at one of his mercury thermometers. Thanks Gabe...

John Tyler, who was a US President from 1841-1845, has two living grandsons.

Didn't WFRULZ say his grandfather fought in the Civil War? That's not even as impressive as John Tyler (born in 1790!) having two living grandsons, but still mindboggling to think about.

Just out of curiosity...looked this up.

In order for this to happen, John Tyler had his 13th kid (out of 15) at the age of 63 (and his 14th and 15th kids at 66 and 70)...

That 13th child then had 3 children each with two wives, the 4th and 5th of which are still alive, whom he had at 71 and 75 respectively.

That family liked to fuck!!

A friend of mine needed a kidney transplant. He was less worried about finding a match than most.

His father was one of a family of eleven siblings. His mother had ten brothers and sisters.

He had over 120 first cousins.

my mom has been on a crazy geneology kick lately; all of my ancestors (german, arrived in the mid 1600s) had like 12-20 kids, some of which would not survive to adulthood. my guess it was pretty common for farming families.

A friend of mine needed a kidney transplant. He was less worried about finding a match than most.

His father was one of a family of eleven siblings. His mother had ten brothers and sisters.

He had over 120 first cousins.

Every RJ post reads like he's starting a new short story.

Did any of his 120 first cousins cut out anyone's tongue?

I'm just surprised he didn't use first names.

Back