• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fashion Thread

I finally realized why all of phan's photos looked so familiar.

It's exactly how every 13 year old's suit pants fit after they wear them for the first time after their growth spurt.

At least you'll be ready for the next bar mitzvah you're invited to.

we had some woman come in and give a talk one time when i was just starting my career about how to dress for a business casual environment. the rule for pants is actually that they're supposed to touch the very top of the sole of the shoe (i'm not sure if that makes sense. but basically where the heel of your foot sits on top of the back of your shoe, that's where the pant leg hits). so actually maybe an inch and a half longer than what is in the picture. also, your socks are supposed to match your pants, which automatically eliminates most of the guys in that link you gave.

again, i'm all for trendy fashions outside of the office. but none of those pictures from your link are office appropriate, in my opinion.

lol no

Anyone who spends $125 on ties is either stupidly rich or wayyyy too obsessed with their appearance.

I mean look, [Redacted] does fine for under $50.

Anyone who spends $125 on ties is either stupidly rich or wayyyy too obsessed with their appearance.

I mean look, [Redacted] does fine for under $50.

He probably has the money to buy $125 ties. Haha that's the sad part.

Exactly what TW and Nonny said. You can find really nice ties for a fraction of the price.

Eh, I'm not saying owning a $125 tie is silly, I'm just saying if you're smart, you can buy $125 ties for a fraction of the price. And I'm not talking about Men's Wearhouse fake discounts or anything.

Gilt, HauteLook, etc.

Yup. Good luck finding an extra long you're on any of those sites or on a decent sale.

300x400.jpg

like this.

I like this. I really do. I still wouldn't wear it as a young associate at a law firm or anything. If I stick it out and make partner and I still have a body able to wear that, then hell yeah.

I have a couple ties that retail for $80 or so. At this point in my career, I've stuck with the classics. Once I have some disposable cash and a need to wear a tie every day, I'll be expanding that collection greatly. I fucking love ties.

I have a couple ties that retail for $80 or so. At this point in my career, I've stuck with the classics. Once I have some disposable cash and a need to wear a tie every day, I'll be expanding that collection greatly. I fucking love ties.

Ties are my favorite part of dressing up, but I just don't see spending more than $125 on one. They are on sale everywhere.

I live right off Michigan Ave. now, and there's a Nordstrom Rack where I can get all of last season's designer ties. Really, really handy. I actually dislike that place for just about everything except the ties... much easier when you don't have to find an exact size in something.

We have a Nordstrom Rack right up the street from us. They occasionally have nice shoes and I enjoy browsing the racks while TW GF shops, but I rarely find anything in my price range that I like.

On the topic of men's pant lengths - the slim trouser with a higher hem is the most "traditional" look ... after 20 years wandering around in a baggy sack shaped wilderness, men's fashion is returning to the classic slim, tailored looks. The slimmer the pants, the higher the hem has to be for it to work, and in reverse with the baggier. The "top of the sole" rule (which is fucking ridiculous) works for baggy sack shaped suits. It should be dead, along with those hideous suits.

Here's a few examples of the slimmer trouser, higher hem that I'm talking about:

Beatles-1962.jpg

3554849488_5911c673f4_o.jpg

jfk%2BIKE-suits.jpg

Dr-No_Sean-Connery_light-grey-suit_Trousers-full.bmp.jpg

That's the classic men's look if you are fairly athletically built. It's possible to take it too far, and then yes - it looks clownish ... but wearing your hem down the sole of your shoe? Jesus. You might as well put on a fucking burlap sack and call it a day (to be fair, that's what men in the US effectively did for about 20-25 years, and it was hideous).

Last edited:
Back