• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit, I need a freeware video editor

wfumike02

Reaction score
First off, I'm on a work computer running Windows XP so the programs that come with Macs and newer versions of Windows aren't options here.

All I need to do is redact an existing video into a clip of the relevant section and to save it as a file of a reasonable size, so I just need to cut out parts before and after that I don't want/need.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can use VLC to edit videos.

To answer the OP, I've never found a good freeware solution for editing videos :(

If your PC has windows movie editor on it, try that?

Windows Movie Maker can do what he is asking to do pretty easy IIRC. I haven't used it in a long time, though.

I was actually able to find something in XP that was able to do the trick, although it was incredibly clunky and nowhere near as good as the video editor that comes with Windows 7. Thanks for the input.

illegally download a really badass editing program :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don't think you can use VLC to edit videos.

Cutting Video with VLC
The regular version of VLC Media Player has rudimentary video editing capabilities; it allows you to cut down a video file so it is shorter. To do this, select the "View" menu in the VLC player interface and click "Advanced Controls." This will open up extra controls. Simply click the "Record" button (it is on the left, with a solid circle on it) and play your movie from a DVD or hard disk file. Press the button again to stop recording. The clip will automatically save in your Documents folder as an .mp4 file.

I knew I had done it before.

Back