• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Lawyers: Speeding Ticket Advice

DG3

I Am RJKarl
Reaction score
Got a speeding ticket on I-81 Friday night for going 70 in a 55. Apparently the speed drops to 55 where they are doing some construction and I didn't notice as it was 11:45 at night. Cop was a total douche, too. Anyway what suggestions do you guys have as far as going to court and getting it reduced to having to go to driving school, or should I hire an attorney to take care of it? Any suggestions on an attorney in Blacksburg/Roanoke?

FYI: I've never had a speeding ticket before (well, I had one dismissed in Forsyth County like 4 years ago)

I live in Roanoke but no advice other than I've heard from some friends who say the DIP class isn't too bad.

Yes you should get a lawyer. Are you licensed in NC? If you are, an out-of-state ticket could result in you loosing your NC license.

Yes you should get a lawyer. Are you licensed in NC? If you are, an out-of-state ticket could result in you loosing your NC license.

wait...what? just getting a ticket in another state is enough to lose your license? that doesn't make sense.

wait...what? just getting a ticket in another state is enough to lose your license? that doesn't make sense.

It is insane. But if you plead guilty to going X over the speed limit in a different state (maybe 15mph +), then NC will pull your license.

It is insane. But if you plead guilty to going X over the speed limit in a different state (maybe 15mph +), then NC will pull your license.

so does the same thing apply in NC? why would it be stricter if you were out of state?

then i'm really glad that the one time i got a ticket in SC, the guy reduced it to just 9 over. i had no idea i could have lost my license. i was going more than 20 over.

Do people actually plead guilty to these things if they're 15+? Or do some people just pay the fine thinking that that doesn't mean they're guilty? It's pretty easy to get tickets reduced, at least in NC and SC from personal experience.

Yeah, my brother-in-law had that happen for just paying the fine for an 18-over in Virginia. He ended up having to pay a lawyer in NC several grand to get it sorted out, and his license was revoked for a period of time while it was ongoing. HP would be happy, as it forced him to ride the bus through Myers Park to get to work.

Yeah, my brother-in-law had that happen for just paying the fine for an 18-over in Virginia. He ended up having to pay a lawyer in NC several grand to get it sorted out, and his license was revoked for a period of time while it was ongoing. HP would be happy, as it forced him to ride the bus through Myers Park to get to work.

For sure. I ride the bus uptown from time to time. Extremely convenient and costs a fraction of what it would to park.

Back