• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Recipe Thread

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a wide range of tastes and cooking styles here in the Pit, and with summer grilling and cooking in full swing, lets start a thread sharing recipes of our favorite dishes for others to try.

Here's one I made last night on a whim and was very happy with the results.

Salmon Cakes

Ingredients:
3 small cans of skinless, boneless salmon
2 Eggs
1/2 pack of crumbled saltine crackers (can also use bread crumbs)
1 diced jalapeno
1 diced clove of garlic
Zest of 1 lemon

Drain the excess water from the salmon cans. Mix all ingredients evenly in a bowl, to a consistency similar to hamburger meat. If too dry, milk or another egg can be added, if too wet, add more crackers or bread. Patty into 4"-5" cakes, then pan fry in EVOO until golden brown on each side. Towards the end of the cook, take the lemon that was zested earlier and squeeze the lemon juice onto the patties. Top with your favorite sauce if desired. They can be plated, or my preference, eaten as a sandwich.

I make salmon cakes frequently - good, cheap dinner. But I don't top them off with tartar sauce. I make my own remoulade that I use on salmon and crab cakes.

Put in food processor:

1/4 cup mayo
1 T shallots (or some onion)
2 T capers
1-2 T wet mustard (dijon is best for this)
juice from 1 lemon
salt and cayenne

Speaking of crab cakes:

1 lb crab meat
1 egg
1 T wet mustard
2 T mayo
1 T old bay seasoning
1 T worstershire sauce
10-11 saltines, crushed
chopped parsley

I pan fry using butter, canola oil or mixture of both.

can you do it with fresh salmon or do you have to use canned?

You can use fresh as well. It'll be a little more mushy inside if you use raw salmon, but putting grilled salmon in there would add another interesting flavor layer.

You can do it with fresh salmon, but there are so many better things to do with fresh salmon. Just for regular baking, I drizzle a lemon, salt, pepper, dill weed, and top with capers. Bake at 375 for 17-18 min.

If you're having folks over, I like to put a pesto parsley over the salmon filet and bake it. Looks a tad fancy and tastes great. Put in a food processor:

1 c parsley
1/4 c olive oil
1 lemon
almonds - smallish handful
3 T fresh parmesan
little garlic

You could use cilantro instead of parsley if you're a cilantro fan or mix both.

Easiest fresh salmon.

Rinse fresh salmon in cold water and dry with paper towel. Salt and pepper.
Put in baking dish (spray dish with pan) and bake in 400 oven 5-8 minutes. When see salmon get white fat top spread salmon with medium salsa right out of jar. Bake until salsa is hot. Do not overcook the fish.

I like cooking this with a maple syrup and dijon mustard mix instead of salsa too.

I'm looking for a good vegetable soup recipe for tonight.

Big fan of this soup: Turkey Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 box vegetable broth
1 sprig fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper, or Italian seasoning to taste

Instructions
1.Brown the ground turkey over medium heat.
2.Just when it would be safe to "eat", add all of the vegetables, except the can of diced tomatoes.
3.Season the veggies as you wish (salt and pepper, or maybe a little Italian seasoning).
4.Cook on medium heat for 10 min. Keep stirring to ensure your food doesn't stick.
5.Add the can of diced tomatoes and heat for 5 more minutes.
6.Add the box of broth and the sprig of rosemary.
7.Simmer on low as long as you want, usually around 30 min.
8.Enjoy!

Red Beans and Rice - simple but delicious.

Soak 1 pound of red beans overnight or a minimum of eight hours in enough water to cover the about two inches above the beans.

In a large pot, cook two or three slices of bacon and then remove the bacon (you're looking for two or three tablespoons of bacon grease).

Sautee about a cup and a half of onions in the bacon grease for a couple minutes.

Add in a ham steak cubed into ½ inch pieces and three links of andouille sausage, diced, and sauté for a few minutes.

Add in three or four chopped cloves of garlic (more or less, to taste), some ground thyme, salt and pepper (I don't really have any measurements, I just wing it).

Drain the beans and add them to the pot, along with 8-10 cups of vegetable stock.

Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce and let simmer for a couple of hours.

After the beans have softened, use a large spoon to smash about ¼ of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the mixture obtains a creamy texture - you may have to play around with added stock or more mashed beans to get the consistency you want.

Serve over rice and garnish with chopped green onions.

Great fresh spring/summer side: diced tomato, diced fresh mozzarella, diced avocado, fresh basil, dressed with olive oil and S&P.

Old Bay Beer batter:

1 cup of AP flour
1/2 t Baking Powder
a little salt
a little black pepper
1 T of Old Bay

mix dry ingredients

add 8-10 oz of beer and stir well
let sit for an hour or so

use to batter and fry Shrimp or Fish in 375 degree oil. Make sure the oil is at 375 and add shrimp/fish a little at a time so you don't cool the oil or crowd the seafood.

If you don't like old bay use other spices like garlic powder or paprika or cayenne pepper.

Back