• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit: Tell Me about Charlotteville, VA

DeaconForever

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Charlottesville. Anyone know nice places to stay, eat, etc? Things do do other than the obvious (Monticello, UVa)? I hear the vineyards are cool. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Pit: Tell Me about Charlottesville, VA

I'm planning a trip to Charlottesville. Anyone know nice places to stay, eat, etc? Things do do other than the obvious (Monticello, UVa)? I hear the vineyards are cool. Thanks for your help.

I really like the pedestrian mall, but it's just a bunch of restaurants and stores.

be sure to learn about Mr. Jefferson as you stand on the Lawn on Grounds

I mean what do you want to know? My family has.lived there since 2000.

What type of trip, length, dates, budget, etc.

I mean what do you want to know? My family has.lived there since 2000.

What type of trip, length, dates, budget, etc.

It's my wife's 40th B'Day. She's into wine and fine dining. We'll probably stay for about 3 days. What are the best places to stay? Do you know any good B&Bs? Are there cool vineyards to tour? Thanks for your help.

Okay. Barboursville Vineyards is north of Charlottesville in Orange county and has very good wine. There are some other vineyards out there that are just so so in my opinion. However, it does have rooms there if you wanted to stay a night.

I would go out to the Western part of Albemarle county.

My favorite overall vineyard is King Family in Crozet. On Sundays in the spring they have actual polo matches.

Veritas is out in Nelson county and has a great tasting room and good wine. Its not too bad of a drive and there are also several breweries out there.

Generally, when I go with my friends we go to King Family then to Starr Hill Brewery in Crozet. Three Notch'd Grill is near there and it is a very good restaurant.

After Starr Hill we head to Whitehall Vineyards which has good whites. I just tried Stimson which is about a mile from Whitehall. When I went this summer Stimson had the best views.

If it were my trip, I would stay at the boars head inn and have dinner at the old mill room one night. Other places I'd recommend downtown would be zocalo and Mas. Mas is tapas style but delicious.

I've got lots of recommendations if you need more or have specific questions.

Blue Mountain Brewery in Nelson County is fun. they have a good restaurant and a beautiful setting.

also Peter Chang's has amazing Chinese food.

I remember walking by a bed and breakfast on main street. Can't speak to it other than the location is hard to beat.

Keswick Hall is another great place to stay.

I did Veritas and Afton Mountain Vineyards recently with a pretty wine savvy group, and we all thought, wine wise, Afton Mountain was better. Veritas a better setting/facilities though.

Another plug for King Family winery. Good wine and a nice setting.

Things to do: Monticello is a should do, as is a walk around UVA's campus, er grounds, downtown mall is fine but shops are expensive for what they are (shopping is not good around here). The Culbreth Theater at UVA and the Live Arts theater downtown offer good theater, so if you're looking to take in a play after dinner, check out both of them. There is occasional live music at a few venues. And there are movie theaters on the west end of the mall. The 1 vineyard I'd visit is Barboursville. They have a decent tour, and they're 1 of the very few VA vineyards with decent reds. And it's located on the ruins of former Gov Barbour's grounds, where they have outdoor plays in the summer.

Food: There are many upscale restaurants, most of which I consider to be overpriced. If you're staying down in Nelson Co, there are 3 nice breweries down there. In town, the 2 "nice" places I recommend are Fellini's and C&O (entrees in high teens to low $20s). They're on opposite ends just off the mall - C&O is kinda creative continental, and Fellini's is the only Italian place in town that I like (C&O has a quiet and romantic atmosphere, whereas Fellini's has music most nights). I ate at Peter Chang's last week for the 1st time, and the food was great - authentic Chinese cuisine. A friend who is Chinese and who is a foodie says it can be very good some nights and so-so on other nights depending on who is in the kitchen. I would do a cheap lunch on the downtown mall 1 day. I love Christian's Pizza and the dumpling place that is 2 doors down. Bodo's has good bagels for breakfast.

Some good tags here.

Back