• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Travel Agency: Oahu

ImTheCaptain

I disagree with you
Reaction score
Hit me with some must see places to go see and eat at on Oahu. Doubtful we'll be able to hop islands due to wife's schedule.

Pearl Harbor, obvi

Pearl Harbor is tight. Rent a moped and drive it around the island. Go to Waikiki once and then avoid it because it is just one giant tourist trap. Spear fishing is dumb, don't waste your time/money. Head up to the North Shore, the beaches/water are much cooler.

For great views of the city/island:
1. Hike up Diamond Head
2. Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl)

Oh yeah go to Diamond Head and also the waterfalls in the middle of the island where they filmed Jurassic Park

Sharks Cove on the north shore is pretty cool. Especially if the big waves are coming in. Shave ice is cool by too and that is pretty good.

Where are you staying? While I agree that Waikiki is a tourist trap, Hilton Hawaii Village is a nice place to get over your jet lag.

If it's still daylight when you land, remove your sunglasses and stick your feet in the sand to remind your body that it's still daytime. You're going to wake up really early, so plan on doing Pearl on one of your first days (and when it first opens). I believe you can make reservations ahead of time for the tour.

Another early morning activity is snorkeling at Hanauma Bay (get there by 9AM). When finished, continue up to the coast to Kuahoa Ranch or head to the north shore. We've eaten lunch a couple of times at Turtle Bay Resort before visiting the north shore.

In general, skip all luaus. I'd also skip the Polynesian Cultural Center, but wives generally demand that you stop there. Under no circumstances should you eat poi. Try as many Mai Tai's as you dare - Dukes made a pretty good one on our visit 10 years ago.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on Oahu; however, the other islands are significantly better. Kauai is our favorite, but Maui is also spectacular and has more nightlife and water activities (nightlife on Kauai is watching the sunset with a babe and a Mai Tai). We haven't done the Big Island yet (planning for 2017).

I believe Irish spent some time on Oahu, so hit him up for advice

Last edited:
A couple of additional thoughts - invest in "Oahu Revealed". I haven't read that one, but the companion books on Maui and Kauai are great. Also, try some Huli Huli chicken

If you do Pearl Harbor, get there EARLY and do some research beforehand to figure out what you want to see, or see if there's any way for you to buy tickets from a concierge or something. The way they sell tickets is kind of messed up.

They only allow a set number of people in each day, and tickets go fast, like within the first 30-60 minutes of open. Think of it like a movie theater where you can only buy tickets in person, from 8-9 AM (for example), and your showtime depends on your place in line. If you buy your ticket at 8:00 AM, they'll assign you an early showtime and you'll be home before lunch. If you get your ticket at 8:59 AM (assuming they're not sold out), they'll assign you a 5:00 showtime and you'll either be sitting around for 8 hours or looking for something else to do. Source: went there in June, got my tickets with a shitty showtime, left, came back a few hours later.

Otherwise: Eat a shit ton of malasadas, drink a shit ton of mai tais, and avoid the poor people passing out flyers for WELCOME TO AMERICA COME SHOOT A REAL LIFE FIREARM IN OUR GUN RANGES OMGOMGOMG!!!

Also, if you do find yourself in Waikiki looking for a non-touristy place to eat, we found this hole-in-the-wall wine bar and tapas place called Il Buco, you have to walk through the Waikiki Sand Villa on Ala Wai Blvd out towards the swimming pool (where you awkwardly walk past another tapas place called Wood and Bucket) to get there. Highly recommend.

Back