• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pitboss Lecture Series - America's Bravest

very informative lecture, TSY. i also find the camaraderie of firemen different and seemingly stronger than the bonds i see among police officers. obviously i'm on the outside looking in, but the sense of team and cooperation just doesn't seem to exist from what i see among the officers.
IMO its because we rely on each other during each call. Often police officers operate on their own, or with a partner. Granted backup is just a call away, but most of the time its just one or two of them, unless its a large call. With us, we work in crews of 4, and there are generally multiple crews on scene. To accomplish our objectives, we have to rely and trust each other.

you mean I coulda been famous! Dang I missed by THAT MUCH...
lol, had the actual crash been more interesting, I'd have definitely talked about it. We had one a dozen years or so ago where I guy built an experimental plane and crashed on takeoff, killing himself instantly. It took over a day for the FAA to arrive, and it was in the middle of August. We had to stay with it until they arrived, and apparently the stench was unbearable.

tsy - I didn't notice the background of your tanker pic until Wolf1297 pointed it out last night - in front of the Cobb County Civic Center. I sang in many a choral concert there during HS and that is where my HS graduation was held.

tsy - I didn't notice the background of your tanker pic until Wolf1297 pointed it out last night - in front of the Cobb County Civic Center. I sang in many a choral concert there during HS and that is where my HS graduation was held.

You'd think with all of the money they receive, they could afford a better color than chartreuse. It pains me to see firetrucks in colors other than the traditional red. You can get them in almost any color, but red and chartreuse tend to be the most popular. In addition to those two, I've seen white, black, Tarheel Blue, and Purple. That being said, I'd love to see Winston-Salem to get an Old Gold and Black Engine, but I doubt that'd happen.

1305web.jpg

black_large.jpg

720x480%20old%20well.jpg

2082886170_6fc560f638.jpg

Back in the 80's, when the fire service was going through an overhaul of safety and standards, a study was released that said human eyes noticed the chartreuse color easier than the traditional fire engine red. For a while, more chartreuse trucks were built than red. A few years later, another study came out that even though its easier to see the chartreuse color, people didnt associate the chartreuse with being a firetruck as quickly as red. You can still get chartreuse trucks, and many departments operate solely with that color, but red has taken back over.

I've always thought Greensboro should have green fire trucks. Real green, not this chartruesse color. Chartruesse is for fishing lures.

wtf with you dudes and chartreuse? I had to look up what color that was. I also don't know what mauve is.

Chartreuse is a great fishing lure color, and its a hated color in the fire service. Its pretty well known by guys.

i'm pretty sure i had a chartreuse crayola crayon... it wasn't just the normal green-yellow.

last night at Foothills trivia, one of the questions was "chartreuse is a shade of what color?" and I totally rocked it. thanks lecture!

was the answer green or yellow?

back on topic- i agree that red should be the standard color. sirens and lights are what grab my attention more than anything, so the color of the vehicle doesn't matter as much to me with regards to recognizing it as a service vehicle, but for the nostalgia of it red should be the standard.

sirens and lights are what grab my attention more than anything

We typically carry electric sirens, federal q (air siren below) and the air horns. Most of our apparatus involved crashes occur at intersections, so we're now required to employ all audible devices when approaching an intersection. Most departments dont do that, but some do.

18729822924c4dd78d1738a.jpg

These sirens are pretty awesome. They project the noise in a straight line at nearly ear damaging levels. Since its invention, the ability for drivers to say they couldnt hear the trucks coming up behind them has dropped to nil. In fact, there is a huge lawsuit going on in Chicago right now, where firefighters are suing the Federal Signal Company for damaging their ears due to repeated exposure to it.

Warning: Dont play this at work unless you really want to annoy your coworkers:

I didnt know quite where to put these pics, so I thought I'd post them here. There was a massive warehouse fire in Chicago this week in single digit temps. 1/3 of all active duty firefighters were on this call. The pics are amazing.

2013_1_23_3757ashland4.jpg

2013_1_23_3757ashland3.jpg

2013_01_chifire2.jpg

chi_ice_fire_P6.jpg

reuters_us_chicago_warehouse_fire_23Jan13-975x652.jpg

warehouse-fire-3-630x439.jpg

800_df62hytpxhd4p33uhehkisws3mhgzocq.jpg

The coldest structure fire I've ever been on was 18 degrees and it was cold enough for me. We actually wanted to go back into the burning structure, because we were warm when we were near the fire. Once we put it out, we were all cold, wet, and miserable. I've got to hand it to those Northern boys, they're tough as nails.

I remember covering a large church fire in Richmond, Virginia during a frigid cold snap. Some of the hydrants froze, and the water that did come out of the others, froze everywhere. The parking lot looked like an ice rink. EVERYONE was miserable that night.

Back