• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pitchfork's Top 200 songs of the 1980s

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Drops on Monday

Let's try to guess top 10

I'm going to say "How Soon is Now?" will be there, maybe Top 5...

What else?

Come on townie impress me

Teen Age Riot
Billie Jean

Last edited:
New Order's 'Ceremony' will be in the Top 5.

I love How Soon Is Now, but the song is boring as fuck.

Just Like Heaven has gotta be top 5.

Some of those one-hit wonders had great songs too, particularly in the new wave/early 80s years.

p4k loves teen age riot, that's definitely going to be top 10

5. Love Will Tear Us Apart
4. Where Is My Mind
3. Teenage Riot
2. Lovesong
1. Billie Jean

Is this the song y'all talking about? because I've never heard it before and it really sucks, so I assume not

Is this the song y'all talking about? because I've never heard it before and it really sucks, so I assume not

To be honest I don't really like the song either. P4k rated the album this song was on as the #1 album of the 80s. Teen Age Riot was the lead single on this album so that's the logic behind the predictions.

Graceland
How Soon is Now
Don't Believe the Hype
Under Pressure
Blue Monday?

Muse and Evanescence weren't out til the 2000s so I assume plama is just gonna hate everything.

OF COURSE plama doesn't like teen age riot

no troll, what part of it is supposed to be something that one would like? The singer is just talking the whole time; not singing, there is no chorus and there's nothing memorable about any of the instrumental work.

That and the fact that if you're going to be a top 5 song of a frickin' decade people should have heard of it by now, whereas I've literally heard this for the first time today.

To be honest I don't really like the song either. P4k rated the album this song was on as the #1 album of the 80s. Teen Age Riot was the lead single on this album so that's the logic behind the predictions.

You two depress me. Too much beach music at Wake, like when I was there? Or just bad hip hop? That palma has not heard this before does not speak to it's obscurity, it speaks to his un-hipness.

Last edited:
I guess it did peak at #20 on the Rock charts, however did I miss that?

I never heard it either, palma. Same with a few others mentioned here.

I never heard it either, palma. Same with a few others mentioned here.

Really? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, it's just mystical to me that you guys don't know this song or album. I guess I should be thankful for a time when music was not shoved down our throats.

1 hungry like the wolf
2 tainted love
3 who can it be now
4 everybody wants to rule the world
5 tie: puttin on the ritz / pac man fever
hm: mickey

no troll, what part of it is supposed to be something that one would like? The singer is just talking the whole time; not singing, there is no chorus and there's nothing memorable about any of the instrumental work.

That and the fact that if you're going to be a top 5 song of a frickin' decade people should have heard of it by now, whereas I've literally heard this for the first time today.

Palma not having heard Sonic Youth, and not liking it, is probably the most predictable thing in the entire history of this board.

As for "nothing memorable about any of the instrumental work" - Sonic Youth basically redefined how to play guitars. The entire genre of "indie / alternative rock" effectively started with them. Spin Magazine named Moore and Ranaldo as their co-#1 guitarists of all time. That might be a bit high, but Moore is pretty much in everyone's top 25.

They were a transformative band that helped define the sound of the next generation.

Back