• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Places to live around Miami Gardens

Deacon92

Reaction score
New thread for more responses.

Asking the pit for advice on places to live if I take a job in Miami Gardens? Things to watch out for? (Besides grammar). Is west palm too far? So far I've heard mixed.

West Palm would be too far for me. You would be driving home on I-95 and sitting in that parking lot of a highway for over an hour every single day. Boca is a little closer but similar problem.
If you have a young family, Weston is up there. Tons of parks, great schools, expensive homes but nice neighborhoods. It is pretty secluded from the rest of Broward, so you have to drive out for any good food or entertainment. I lived there for a short period when working at Cleveland Clinic.
Davie is close to Miami Gardens and is pretty big in size, so tons of housing options, schools, etc. And that is where The Rock lives, so can't be too bad? Hollywood has some nice areas that are close to the beach.
Two of my favorite areas near there are Oakland Park (just north of Ft Lauderdale, good neighborhoods and an awesome brewery in Funky Buddha) and the Riverside Park area outside downtown Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks. Weston has come up in other conversations and yes elementary and middle school age kids

I would think that WPB would be waaaaay too far. I don't and never have lived down in SE FL, but spent a fair amount of time down there on business in the past. For starters, I believe that Miami Gardens is pretty sketchy. However, there are some inland areas around there that aren't too bad: Weston, Plantation, parts of Davie, etc. Personally, if you are making decent money, I would try to get as close to the beach as possible. It just seems that some of those areas have much more character than most of the cookie cutter type of suburbs that are more inland.

I would think that WPB would be waaaaay too far. I don't and never have lived down in SE FL, but spent a fair amount of time down there on business in the past. For starters, I believe that Miami Gardens is pretty sketchy. However, there are some inland areas around there that aren't too bad: Weston, Plantation, parts of Davie, etc. Personally, if you are making decent money, I would try to get as close to the beach as possible. It just seems that some of those areas have much more character than most of the cookie cutter type of suburbs that are more inland.

Agree with this. My wife is from Jupiter, so we go down there a bunch. WPB is FAR from Miami, especially in rush hour. Importantly, you can take the Turnpike (which is a toll road) instead of 95. The Turnpike is a little further west, but think about that when making this decision as it will have an impact on your commute. Good luck!

I live in the WPB area now. Here to Miami is 70 miles and depending upon the time that you go, it can be a parking lot on 95, especially when you get into Boca and then Broward County. The turnpike is an option, although it can also get backed up. Another option if you choose to live up here is tri-rail, which runs from WPB to the Miami airport, with many stops along the way. From its northern most stop (WPB) to its southern most (airport) is 1:45 trip. Living in the WPB area just depends upon how much time you want to spend commuting each day. I know people that do it, but it isn't for me.

If you do end up in the WPB area, you definitely want to think about schools. The best are in the Wellington area. Of course there are also many good private schools.

Thanks this is confirming a lot of what I heard. Part of me isn't worried about an hour commute. Atl was worse.

And staying out of Miami proper. Just Miami Gardens

weston/plantation/sunrise is nice if you like suburbs

suburbs are good.

First house search trip this weekend, hope I don't freak on the prices.

Back