• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Playing for the mob

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
The 30 for 30 episode tonight is about the BC point shaving scandal. It should be a good one.

I know a few long-time fans who have speculated that the UNC/WFU scoreboard call (screw-job) didn't happen in a vacuum. I wouldn't be surprised.
Especially, given the manner of death of the official who made the call.

Tonight's episode should be solid. They're very well done.

I know a few long-time fans who have speculated that the UNC/WFU scoreboard call (screw-job) didn't happen in a vacuum. I wouldn't be surprised.
Especially, given the manner of death of the official who made the call.

Tonight's episode should be solid. They're very well done.

While Fred Hikel (the scoreboard ref) was hit by a car several years later, he survived that accident.

Wake was underdogs to the Tarheels by 4 in the paper they showed at the very beginning.

The "scoreboard play" was only one of three very questionable calls at the end of that game.

The other official was promoted.

Edited to add that this had way more to do with Dean than it did with the mob.

Last edited:
Over/Under on number of plastic surgeries Leslie Visser has had after seeing her on "Playing for the mob" last night?

The "scoreboard play" was only one of three very questionable calls at the end of that game.

The other official was promoted.

Edited to add that this had way more to do with Dean than it did with the mob.

If the reffs planned to fix that game, they would not have waited until the final seconds to do it. Agree that Dean Smith, and a lack of respect for WF was the cause.

I don't know if this is why she's had ALL the surgeries, but she had some accident in the early 90's which I believe required some facial reconstruction.

I don't know if this is why she's had ALL the surgeries, but she had some accident in the early 90's which I believe required some facial reconstruction.

She was running in NY (I think Central Park) and tripped. Total face plant with massive damage to her skull/face.

If the reffs planned to fix that game, they would not have waited until the final seconds to do it. Agree that Dean Smith, and a lack of respect for WF was the cause.

Dean later claimed he was pointing at the scoreboard because he thought too much time ran off. Hikel was apparently so easily influenced by Dean that he thought Dean was saying the pass hit the scoreboard and so he made that ridiculous call.

While that call was off the charts crazy, the officiating in those days was incredibly biased in favor of UNC. I kind of liked UNC until I went to my first UNC-Wake game and so how horrible the officiating was.

She was running in NY (I think Central Park) and tripped. Total face plant with massive damage to her skull/face.

That my be true but sounds unlikely. Maybe it was just the story they pushed. Generally speaking, unless your arms are tied behind your back, falling like that usually results in a wrist fracture or some other hand/arm deal with much less force being applied to the facial skeleton. But, maybe she was just very unlucky.

sounds like she was just very unlucky. She must have been hauling ass to mess up her face and her hip. Yikes

sounds like she was just very unlucky. She must have been hauling ass to mess up her face and her hip. Yikes

Yeah, must've been pretty bad. I figured she was just one of these that get the countless plastic surgeries thinking it makes them look good, but just makes them look awful like Cher for instance.

Back