• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Point Shaving Scandal Brewing At UTEP

Laws against the people who are betted on betting themselves are legit.

Inside knowledge plays a role too. One of my best friends is an athletic training professor at a D-3 school and he can't do a March Madness pool or fantasy league for money because of potential inside knowledge.

Well, of course. The fact that betting is generally illegal is absurd, though

It's still not allowed by the NCAA. Athletes aren't even supposed to play march madness pools.

What's the NCAA justification for no betting on sports, period (not that the NCAA has or needs justiications for anything). Clearly, you should not be allowed to bet on your own games and own NCAA sport (maybe even all college sports to take out betting on your school's teams). But, if I'm a UTEP men's basketball player down in the Bahamas for a week, why should it be any worse for me to put 50 on the Pats to cover in an NFL game than it is for Johnny Football to play some blackjack (or whatever he was playing)?

Because the NCAA doesn't want their athletes in debt to gamblers who may persuade them to influence games in order to pay that debt.

Back