• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

poisoned well

Was this season much different than a standard pre-Grobe season? Sure there were closer games in a weak ACC...but lots of losses just the same.

with the exception of 2010, the last 5 years have been a product that was far better anything Caldwell or Dooley (except 92) ever produced.

I'm the biggest Grobe fan out there, but he sounded tired to me - not tired of us, but tired of not getting results the past few years.

with the exception of 2010, the last 5 years have been a product that was far better anything Caldwell or Dooley (except 92) ever produced.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Caldwell was 7-6 in 1999 winning the Aloha and was 5-6 in 1997...both seasons arguably better than a lot of the last 5 years. Dooley was 7-4 in 1987, 6-4-1 in 1988, and 8-4 in 1992 winning the Independence Bowl...all arguably better than most of the last 5 years. Dooley finished with a 45% win percentage and Grobe was only 37% the past 5 years.

I'd take issue with that. Caldwell, 1999, 7-5, bowl win, Dooley, 1992, 8-4, bowl win, 1987, 7-4, 1988, 6-4-1.

Grobe.....best in last 5 yrs...6-7, bowl loss.

NOTE: pourdeac beat me to it by 1 min....:D

Wake fans are horrible, unreasonable people.

Nothing like Alabama fans...

unanygyn.jpg

agree on Dooley. Caldwell, no way. this year's team would beat the Aloha team 3 out 5 at least...as would all but 2010's.

Understand Dilllon's point. A large segment of the fanbase appeared to have no appreciation for what WF football was like prior to Grobe's arrival.

Similar to what it is is like now after 5 straight losing seasons.

I appreciate what Grobe did and wanted him to keep doing it. He didn't. He left so someone else can continue his work.

Our Bobby Bowden stepped down. What about that do you not get, Pilch?

agree on Dooley. Caldwell, no way. this year's team would beat the Aloha team 3 out 5 at least...as would all but 2010's.

That's hilarious. Just stop being a Wake fan and focus on the Buckeyes.

This thread is Dillion Fence's personal Bay of Pigs.

If Grobe ends up at Purdue, I am going to be so pissed that this internet bulletin-board.

Understand Dilllon's point. A large segment of the fanbase appeared to have no appreciation for what WF football was like prior to Grobe's arrival.

For me, that's not the case. I fully understand what it was like when our program was on par with, or worse than, App. State. As I recall, we had a something of a rivalry with them for years. I also remember many seasons where you'd circle Duke on the calendar as our only possible conference win. The Caldwell era was just hopeless generally despite beating ASU in a bowl.

Regardless of what happened prior to 2000, program-building under Grobe created minimum standards and expectations. Those standards have not been met in years, so he became a victim of his own success.

You are seriously the dumbest motherfucker to post on these boards. So to make sure I am correct, you first stated that this team (with the #118 offense in the country, mind you) would beat a bowl team (with a win over a top 15 team) 3 out of 5?

Just stop posting for a while.

The well has officially been poisoned. Our fans were so upset about Buzz that we ran off the greatest football coach in school history. Brilliant. What up and coming young coach won't jump at the chance to come to a school with 20,000 rabid butts in the seats and a fan base demanding annual bowl games and occasional runs to ACC titles. Very realistic expectations. Prepare for more disappointment my friends. Especially since these same fans think we have the worst AD in the country yet we trust him to hire the next football coach.

20,000 fans??? Although, I will agree with you that our some of our fan base can be extremely unrealistic in regards to football. Whenever we experience success, they have a tendency to elevate THEIR expectations FAR above levels that most would consider realistic for Wake Forest. They aren't elevated equally, incrementally. Bottom line: This is Wake Forest. And this is Wake Forest football. As long as we have the academic restrictions that other schools do not, we will always have the "best-of-the-rest" from which to recruit. That's just a fact, and if you think that we can actively recruit against the power schools, then you're delusional. We'll find the occasional diamond in the rough from time-to-time, as have been proven, and we're capable of having occasional winning seasons. However, in my opinion, to expect winning seasons and bowl bids on a regular basis is simply comical, given the recruiting parameters that we have.

20,000 fans??? Although, I will agree with you that our some of our fan base can be extremely unrealistic in regards to football. Whenever we experience success, they have a tendency to elevate THEIR expectations FAR above levels that most would consider realistic for Wake Forest. They aren't elevated equally, incrementally. Bottom line: This is Wake Forest. And this is Wake Forest football. As long as we have the academic restrictions that other schools do not, we will always have the "best-of-the-rest" from which to recruit. That's just a fact, and if you think that we can actively recruit against the power schools, then you're delusional. We'll find the occasional diamond in the rough from time-to-time, as have been proven, and we're capable of having occasional winning seasons. However, in my opinion, to expect winning seasons and bowl bids on a regular basis is simply comical, given the recruiting parameters that we have.

So very LOWF. There are multiple examples of better academic schools than Wake with better football programs.

I think you severely overinflate the expectations you think some Wake fans have.

You are seriously the dumbest motherfucker to post on these boards. So to make sure I am correct, you first stated that this team (with the #118 offense in the country, mind you) would beat a bowl team (with a win over a top 15 team) 3 out of 5?

Just stop posting for a while.
That aloha bowl team was better than Miami this year? Better than Vandy? Two teams we outplayed for 59 minutes? Uh no, Einstein. Too bad grobe's classes football clinics for wives are going away, you could have learned much grasshopper.

Uh, pretty sure I agree with you? And 20k was a best case.

This was the perfect time for Grobe and Wake to part ways. Grobe had a chance to maintain some success and momentum at Wake, and he didn't. We are looking at 1 bowl game in the past 5 years with a 2 or 3 year rebuilding project ahead of us with very poor recruiting momentum and a staff that has been picked clean of its high performers. There is no guarantee, but there is no guarantee that Grobe was ever going to achieve any more substantial success at Wake. I think making a change now while we still have some momentum is our best opportunity at significant future success.

That aloha bowl team was better than Miami this year? Better than Vandy? Two teams we outplayed for 59 minutes? Uh no, Einstein. Too bad grobe's classes football clinics for wives are going away, you could have learned much grasshopper.

1999 Sagarin:

40 Wake Forest A = 76.37 7 5 72.54( 54) 0 1 | 1 2

2013 Sagarin

82 Wake Forest A = 65.37 4 8 70.83( 49) 0 1 | 0 2 | 67.88 72 | 62.76 97 | 61.44 101

I played at Wake. You didn't. Shut the fuck up.

Kicker? Punter? Whoop de fucking do. Unless you are Sam Swank or Ryan Plackemeier you sure as hell didn't play very well. And clearly then you didn't get into wake based on IQ.

Back