• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police put 6 year old girl in handcuffs

My wife's insistence that our kids will eventually go to private school (granted we can afford it) is sounding better and better every day.

My wife's insistence that our kids will eventually go to private school (granted we can afford it) is sounding better and better every day.

That's not always a good thing. I was in public school from K-8 and 10-12, but in a fairly prestigious private school for 9. There were more drugs and crime (and a lot more entitlement) in that Jesuit private school than in all of my years in public school combined, and my middle school was particularly scary.

Your wife better make some serious skrilla. We've looked into it ourselves and the cost is just staggering, especially if you have multiple kids.

Just make sure your kids are smart and let them test into the HAG program.

Your wife better make some serious skrilla. We've looked into it ourselves and the cost is just staggering, especially if you have multiple kids.Just make sure your kids are smart and let them test into the HAG program.

We have wondered about this ourselves. We had a couple of neighbors with kids in private school at $15,000 per kid. Each couple was spending over $30,000 to send their kids to middle school. I just could not justify that, or write that check. I am sure there are schools that are way more than this.

I'd buy a house in a nice area, with good public schools, before I ever paid $30K/year to send my kids to a private school. Might as well get some equity out of that investment.

We have wondered about this ourselves. We had a couple of neighbors with kids in private school at $15,000 per kid. Each couple was spending over $30,000 to send their kids to middle school. I just could not justify that, or write that check. I am sure there are schools that are way more than this.

I currently have 2 kids in pre school at a cost of close to 17k/yr. Private school would be close to that PER CHILD.

It's cheaper for us to buy a house in the Sherwood/Buena Vista area to take advantage of the best public schools. Whitaker has been absolutely fantastic for our oldest child.

in addition to the idea of buying a house in an area with a good public school, you can also think of ways to put that money you save into other forms of education. educational trips to historical sites, supplemental books, etc. and honestly, stuff like the trips sticks with kids longer than anything they'd learn in a classroom anyway.

in addition to the idea of buying a house in an area with a good public school, you can also think of ways to put that money you save into other forms of education. educational trips to historical sites, supplemental books, etc. and honestly, stuff like the trips sticks with kids longer than anything they'd learn in a classroom anyway.

Interesting that you bring this up. We got into a little scrap with the Texas school system over this. We travel internationally quite often and started taking our son when he was 8. I had him research sites he wanted to see in each country, write papers on the destinations and put together posters about each trip. He learned so much more about the world than he would have sitting in class. It took several meetings to get the school board folks to accept this as a valid excuse for days missed. His classmates enjoyed his presentations and little Denver has been able to see Europe, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Interesting that you bring this up. We got into a little scrap with the Texas school system over this. We travel internationally quite often and started taking our son when he was 8. I had him research sites he wanted to see in each country, write papers on the destinations and put together posters about each trip. He learned so much more about the world than he would have sitting in class. It took several meetings to get the school board folks to accept this as a valid excuse for days missed. His classmates enjoyed his presentations and little Denver has been able to see Europe, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

We got a letter from the school the other day that our oldest had been tardy too often...12 times (all less than 5 minutes, and all my fault for not getting him there earlier). They threatened to revoke his out of zone school assignment and make him attend school closer to home. The letter cited that studies prove that timely attendance is crucial in determining the success of students.

The same day our son brought home a report card with straight A's as well as a certificate for not missing a day of school so far this entire year.

I made copies of both and mailed them with the original letter to the principal.

In 6th grade, my little brother drew the ire of a much larger 8th grade black female bully on the bus. After about a week of her nonsense, he knocked her the fuck out on the bus with a left cross to the face. He joined me in private school a few days later.

What are the acceptable public schools in winston now? I went to Jefferson, Jefferson and Tabor. That was the trifecta of good schools 5-10 ago but not sure about now.

What are the acceptable public schools in winston now? I went to Jefferson, Jefferson and Tabor. That was the trifecta of good schools 5-10 ago but not sure about now.

For elementary (in no particular order): Vienna, Jefferson, Sherwood, Whitaker, Brunsun (only because of the HAG program). The teachers I speak to think Vienna and Whitaker are just a bit better than Jefferson and Sherwood. I'd be glad to have my kids in any of them.

Read a write-up of this story in the Post yesterday - I really don't have a problem with this, because there are parents out there that just let their kids run wild. There needs to be consequences for both the parents and the children.

That said, it sets a pretty dangerous precedent. If you handcuff a kid for throwing a wild tantrum and potentially injuring someone, where do you draw the line?

Read a write-up of this story in the Post yesterday - I really don't have a problem with this, because there are parents out there that just let their kids run wild. There needs to be consequences for both the parents and the children.

That said, it sets a pretty dangerous precedent. If you handcuff a kid for throwing a wild tantrum and potentially injuring someone, where do you draw the line?

I think the line for public officials has already been drawn. Basically, any time there is a situation where you could be accused of wrong doing that could potentially cost you your job, you err on the side of better safe than sorry. It sucks because there should always be judgement calls but thats just the way our culture has shifted. For better or worse.

I'd buy a house in a nice area, with good public schools, before I ever paid $30K/year to send my kids to a private school. Might as well get some equity out of that investment.
yep, we could have had a dream house in HP for a good deal less than we paid for our new house (still awesome but not as upgraded) in GSO but the schools make it completely worth it because we won't have to worry about it if we stay put until E is in school.

yep, we could have had a dream house in HP for a good deal less than we paid for our new house (still awesome but not as upgraded) in GSO but the schools make it completely worth it because we won't have to worry about it if we stay put until E is in school.

From the pic I saw I think y'all still got a really awesome house!

Back