• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
I think you get his argument. You just don’t want to say it.

The “student athletes” being on campus right now is not a perk like early class registration. They’re on campus because they’re first and foremost athletes the schools need to play football to generate money to save the budget.

the dozen or so student athletes that I knew at Wake were truly student athletes-golfers, tennis players, soccer players, and a couple of football players.
they all did well after Wake- doctors, lawyers, business, military

the dozen or so student athletes that I knew at Wake were truly student athletes-golfers, tennis players, soccer players, and a couple of football players.
they all did well after Wake- doctors, lawyers, business, military

One of those things is not like the others...

I posted this on the football issues thread but think it fits here too: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-alabama-students-crowds-safety-football-season/

The students returning to town and immediately disregarding social distancing & not wearing masks just to go out are going to ruin it for everybody. A handful of football players across the country have sounded off on Twitter with many saying that they won’t be going to class after seeing all of the pictures & videos from bars.

I posted this on the football issues thread but think it fits here too: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-alabama-students-crowds-safety-football-season/

The students returning to town and immediately disregarding social distancing & not wearing masks just to go out are going to ruin it for everybody. A handful of football players across the country have sounded off on Twitter with many saying that they won’t be going to class after seeing all of the pictures & videos from bars.

It’s easy to bitch about college kids but 90% of us would be doing the same thing if we were 18-22 years old. The only way to stop college kids from hanging out is to not have them on campus. If your college says it’s safe to be there then you are going to trust that and live like it’s college.

It’s easy to bitch about college kids but 90% of us would be doing the same thing if we were 18-22 years old. The only way to stop college kids from hanging out is to not have them on campus. If your college says it’s safe to be there then you are going to trust that and live like it’s college.

Yep. Sadly this is better than 18-25 year olds going out to work and bars and coming back home to their parents and grandparents.

Agreed. It should be expected when you put 30k college students together that there will be an outbreak. So let’s avoid it all together and not open campus.

I think you get his argument. You just don’t want to say it.

The “student athletes” being on campus right now is not a perk like early class registration. They’re on campus because they’re first and foremost athletes the schools need to play football to generate money to save the budget.

I really disagree. Being back on campus with your friends, living in a safe bubble, and getting regular testing is a fantastic perk. That’s why 99% of student athletes, including those without any pro chances and without scholarships, returned.

But as others have stated, the non athlete students will likely lead to the downfall of college sports this fall. I can’t ultimately blame them though, as the mismanagement of the pandemic is the fault of those much higher up.

Yeah, he gets it. He just doesn't want to admit it.

Yeah, he gets it. He just doesn't want to admit it.

The student athletes at Wake, Duke, and other schools taking this seriously are currently in a much safer situation than the general population. They are tested way more than I am and I’m a healthcare provider seeing COVID patients!

Right. They're getting tested like they're professional athletes, not like they're students.

Yeah this isn’t a hard concept that the athlete in student athlete is first, student second. They are exploited minor league athletes with student being dressed up and “perks” being hyped to prevent payment for their services. With true non-revenue Olympic sports being used as cover.

Yeah this isn’t a hard concept that the athlete in student athlete is first, student second. They are exploited minor league athletes with student being dressed up and “perks” being hyped to prevent payment for their services. With true non-revenue Olympic sports being used as cover.

Yet the full scholarshipped student-athlete, like at Wake Forest is getting a $375,000 5 year education including their red-shirt year. It is not like they are being "made" to be exploited. They don't have to do this your know! Let them go to their high school classes, study hard and try to get an academic scholarship instead and be "exploited" as a Brainiac.

I am posting this here again since no one seems to have read it last time. It is worth a read. I will say that I agree with a good bit of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...s-boycott-pay-players-title-ix-ncaa?_amp=true

I will also add one thing he doesn’t discuss. For those that want to go pro they get a stage to audition on. Great students in academic fields do not get that.

Internships somewhat fill that gap. Also, being an honors scholar at a top school serves as a proxy for an audition, at least in certain fields.

So, did the exploitation of Justin Fields end when tOSU called off the season while the exploitation of Trevor Lawrence continued when Clemson elected to play?

Because for all of this exploitation, Justin Fields is desperate to play, and he is being denied that option and was told what to do. While Trevor Lawrence, who could elect to not play and has more access to information about the decision to play or not play than anyone, chose to play, while also leading the players movement for the season to start. It's a popular narrative to claim that colleges are exploiting the athletes, but in this day and age, athletes have never been better informed and have never been more willing to speak out to assert their rights. While a number of college players have opted out (which is a good thing), the vast majority of the athletes want to play football (and all other college sports) and are outraged when they have been denied the ability to play.

In actual practice, the narrative that football players (and other college athletes) who want to play are a bunch of brain-washed dopes that don't know what is good for them is simply wrong. College athletes want their schools to provide a safe environment for them, and if the school provides reasonably available protections and protocols, they want to play. We are going to go through this again soon when basketball is about to start up, and it's going to play out the same way. The vast majority of athletes want to play and columnists/talking heads that are too lazy to look beyond the conventional "see, how these schools are exploiting these poor ignorant athletes and forcing them to play" will write/blabber on with the same uninformed thoughts that they have been spewing for the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Back