• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pols Aim To Stop Chick-fil-A Expansion Over Gay Statements

http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/08/13/nc-university-suspends-relationship-chick-fil

N.C. University Suspends Relationship With Chick-fil-A
BY Neal BrovermanAugust 13 2012

A recent Chick-fil-A protest in Los Angeles. Responding to a petition, North Carolina's Davidson College will stop serving Chick-fil-A at their monthly After Midnight events.

After Midnight, a late night food and music party, features Chick-fil-A offerings. But after president Dan Cathy's statements condemning same-sex marriage and anyone who believes in it, a petition circulated against serving the chain's food; 500 signatures were received. The school will now stop serving any Chick-fil-A items until university board members decide to make the move permanent.

"The Davidson College Union Board is firmly committed to building an inclusive community that serves each member of our student body," read part of a statement from the school.

Campus Pride executive director Shane Windemeyer released the following statement: "Chick-fil-A's President Dan Cathy is in for a surprise. College students are not going to tolerate a corporation that donates profits to documented hate groups or antigay causes. Davidson College is a perfect example of how colleges will be slowly distancing themselves from the Chick-fil-A brand, even if it will take time. The company is out of touch with the next generation who just wants a good chicken sandwich, hold the hate. The real issue at hand is not freedom of speech, but Chick-fil-A’s secretive funding of documented antigay hate groups. There is no justification for such a business operating on our nation’s campuses. Students and administrators alike need to know that revenues going to Chick-fil-A drive funding for groups that are almost certainly in conflict with campus nondiscrimination policies and are harmful to creating a safe campus climate for all students."

Read more here.

Cathey's comments were based on his religious beliefs. I thought in this country we celebrated freedom of religion. I thought on college campuses different ideas and intelligent debate was encouraged. I wonder what Davidson would have done if CFA's chief was an atheist. How about if he was a Muslim? I expect nothing.

Cathey's comments were based on his religious beliefs. I thought in this country we celebrated freedom of religion. I thought on college campuses different ideas and intelligent debate was encouraged. I wonder what Davidson would have done if CFA's chief was an atheist. How about if he was a Muslim? I expect nothing.

When you post it makes my brain hurt. I read the text, wonder how someone can be so dense, and then take solace in the fact that you are just an old man. I literally repeat this every single time. That is all.

Why do you hate polygamists?

We aren't talking about polygamy right now. Or incest, bestiality, or whatever other slippery slope argument you hope to make. It is neither clever nor applicable. Let me know when that steak you are eating for dinner leads down a slippery slope to eating PEOPLE!!!1!!1

Would you support WF kicking CFA off our campus because of their CEOs view on same gender marriage?

Why not? The admin. supports WF kicking students and greek organizations off campus for being dipshits.

Certainly the religious right activists never boycott anything. *rolleyes*

You're mistakenly equating one specific, outspoken divisive belief to an entire religion, and one entire set of people who reject religion. That makes zero sense. Dan Cathy's outspoken belief is very offensive to an entire set of people, that's why it's being treated so harshly. You'll always have the right to be whatever kind of asshole you want to be, but that doesn't mean that Davidson College has to buy your Chicken Sandwiches.

To break the CFA argument down into something simple enough for Keeper to understand:

As we all know, CFA stands on "Christian Principles" in maintaining that its brand is closed on Sundays. That’s fine if they wish to do so.

Cathy feels so strongly on this concept of "Closed on Sundays" that he begins to advocate that all businesses should be required to be "Closed on Sundays". Most would be dismissive of such an odd concept and not think twice about it.

Cathy takes this stance even further and begins to take money from his profits and donates to organizations that lobby for laws requiring "Closed on Sundays", incarceration of any person "Working on Sundays", detention and "rehabilitation" of anyone who has "Worked on Sundays". Anyone who does not share this conviction would stand up and say “HELL NO!”

Cathy's religious convictions on "Closed on Sundays" is fine for him to embrace for himself and is not being infringed upon BUT it is far from ok when he attempts to force his religious convictions on everyone else forcing them to abide by his view.

Now replace "Closed on Sundays" with "Same Gender Marriage". If Cathy is against "Same Gender Marriage" based on his "Christian Principles", then he should not marry someone of the same gender. His religious freedoms end with himself.

When/where do you draw the line on watching where companies decide to donate their money?

OPEC's money I'm sure has filtered eventually to some Al-Queda like orgs in the Middle East, yall gonna stop buying gas?

This is a private company who has extreme views. If those views are abhorrent to you, there is no reason for you to support his company or product.

You're mistakenly equating one specific, outspoken divisive belief to an entire religion, and one entire set of people who reject religion. That makes zero sense. Dan Cathy's outspoken belief is very offensive to an entire set of people, that's why it's being treated so harshly. You'll always have the right to be whatever kind of asshole you want to be, but that doesn't mean that Davidson College has to buy your Chicken Sandwiches.

You are correct . And conservative Christian donors do not have to continue contributing. That is my point.

This is a private company who has extreme views. If those views are abhorrent to you, there is no reason for you to support his company or product.

Unless you are hungry for a CFA sandwich.

When/where do you draw the line on watching where companies decide to donate their money?

OPEC's money I'm sure has filtered eventually to some Al-Queda like orgs in the Middle East, yall gonna stop buying gas?

We don't anymore. The line is gone.

You are correct . And conservative Christian donors do not have to continue contributing. That is my point.

Really? Was that your point?
Cathey's comments were based on his religious beliefs. I thought in this country we celebrated freedom of religion.

I'm pretty sure this was your point, but A+ for the back tracking attempt. As a University, I don't know how I would respond to a donor who held a greater allegiance to Chick-fil-A than their own school. Can't make everybody happy all the time.

Last edited:
His point is that he has no problems with Christians standing up for their beliefs, but loves to cry persecution/hypocrisy when others do the same.

What do you expect from somebody who thinks that bearer of false witness Jerry Falwell was a great american.

Back