• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poorest job recruiting.

Grobe's last 4 yrs or Bzzzz's 4 yrs

• Grobie

Votes: 56 45.5%
  • Bzzzzkill

Votes: 67 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmmm... Who recruited all those defensive players who just shut out VT in regulation?

The defense has been good all year, not really that small of a sample size 11 games into a 12 game season.

Lol, Grobe is the only coach I can think of who recruited worse after a conference championship.

This. Duke has turned an impressive run into consistently recruiting the types of players that some on this thread are saying that we cannot recruit. Something tells me that as we start winning more, Clawson will continue to put LOWF to bed in regards to Wake football recruiting.

Buzz was by far the worst. He did not recruit good players, he ran them off. He recruited one good ACC player in four fucking years: Devin Thomas. (Who knows what CMM will become). Think about that everybody: one good ACC player in four, count 'em four, fucking years. That's Ripley's Believe it or not! category.

CMM is a junior. What you see is what you get. No metamorphism at this stage

CMM is a junior. What you see is what you get. No metamorphism at this stage

We understand that your only purpose is to slam Codi.

Codi is going to an important part of this team for the rest of this year. Barring something unforeseen happening he'll be playing 25+mpg next year as well.

If this how you intend to continue, you will be needing some lithium or Xanax very shortly. Hell, you might need to combine the two.

RJ is right. 22 needs to back away from the Codi commentary. It's gone overboard and is unseemly for any adult.

This. Duke has turned an impressive run into consistently recruiting the types of players that some on this thread are saying that we cannot recruit. Something tells me that as we start winning more, Clawson will continue to put LOWF to bed in regards to Wake football recruiting.

Duke went on that run this past year. Jury is still out on how their recruits they have gotten and how good they are in college. IIRC, Wake started to recruit players that were slightly higher rated (still mostly 3 stars still) but it seemed to me that more of their recruits were being pursued by more power-5 teams than before. Difference is these recruits more often than not, did not pan out. Most of the ones that did were on the defensive side, which is why Wake's defense is good and the offense is anemic (bad OL development/recruits didn't pan out/RB attrition/WRs that aren't overly quick twitch, ect) Yes Duke is seeming to get some 4 stars lately as a result, but again ratings don't mean too much. Interesting to see how Duke falls or rises based on this success and added better recruits

Buzz is the answer. The recruiting rankings over the last 4 years for grobe were not bad, there are a lot of kids to sign and we are not a traditional football school. Defense and special teams have not been bad. Buzz has been horrible recruiting. We are a traditional basketball school and only need to bring 3 kids in a year.

Duke went on that run this past year. Jury is still out on how their recruits they have gotten and how good they are in college. IIRC, Wake started to recruit players that were slightly higher rated (still mostly 3 stars still) but it seemed to me that more of their recruits were being pursued by more power-5 teams than before. Difference is these recruits more often than not, did not pan out. Most of the ones that did were on the defensive side, which is why Wake's defense is good and the offense is anemic (bad OL development/recruits didn't pan out/RB attrition/WRs that aren't overly quick twitch, ect) Yes Duke is seeming to get some 4 stars lately as a result, but again ratings don't mean too much. Interesting to see how Duke falls or rises based on this success and added better recruits

Yep Those Nease recruits and Looney were on paper the best group of lineman we had ever snagged and overall they didn't work out but they all had extremely impressive offer lists. I remember those classes the same way you do.

I remember one of those early post Orange Bowl classes had 4 or 5 players with FSU offers.

Last edited:
They both did a poor job. Having said that, it is much tougher to recruit for football at Wake.

No good choice. Grobe didn't seem to care or try. [Redacted] was incapable. So I guess it's laziness vs ineptitude. You pick.

Back