• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pope Francis says Church too obsessed with gays/abortion/contraception

those are pretty strong words and a repudiation of Benedict's papacy in my opinion. I wonder how my Catholic friends whose Facebook posts are 50-65% anti-abortion, anti-contraception and anti-gay will react.

There are men who toil at extracting gold; he toiled at the extraction of pity. Universal misery was his mine. The sadness which reigned everywhere was but an excuse for unfailing kindness. Love each other; he declared this to be complete, desired nothing further, and that was the whole of his doctrine.

Too bad about he doesn't speak much English and that pesky Argentinian birth certificate. Otherwise Frankie would be the GOP's best bet in 2016.

those are pretty strong words and a repudiation of Benedict's papacy in my opinion. I wonder how my Catholic friends whose Facebook posts are 50-65% anti-abortion, anti-contraception and anti-gay will react.

They'll fall in line once some of the theology is explained to them, I imagine. That's what people do. First they'll fume a bit, then comes cognitive dissonance, and after a while they start defending the most recent position while discrediting the previous one. It's called politics. Or in this case, religion.

Anyway, I'm catholic and think this is a really, really good thing.

This is really strange. Growing up with 90% Catholic friends, I rarely, if ever, see these posts from my facebook friends. Maryland is the king of "well I'm Catholic, but I really don't follow all the rules," though. Actually, Catholicism is probably the king "I don't really follow the rules" religion.

Francis is such a boss.

well to be honest I only have a few Catholic friends and it is primarily one of them who likes to post this stuff.

This is really strange. Growing up with 90% Catholic friends, I rarely, if ever, see these posts from my facebook friends. Maryland is the king of "well I'm Catholic, but I really don't follow all the rules," though. Actually, Catholicism is probably the king "I don't really follow the rules" religion.

Francis is such a boss.

In Texas it's sort of the opposite. There's such a giant mixing of religions among caucasians here (attend catholic mass, go to protestant bible study, etc.) that anyone who identifies as catholic is CATHOLIC.

I dated a girl from a Maryland Catholic girls' school though, and yeah, I totally get where you're coming from.

At the end of the Times article, the quote from Pope Francis makes clear that he is a Deac fan, who has been following recent developments in Wake athletics closely. He may even be a reader of this board. “We must not reduce the bosom of the universal church to a nest protecting our mediocrity.” In short, an excessive preoccupation with moralizing, leads to the institutionalization of mediocrity. I hope, Hatch is listening.

Hmm so the Pope is Bzzout!!!!

Maybe he's trying to bring Moon back to the church of his youth.

Back