• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Popular Vote?

Do you support Popular Vote?

• Yes - Liberal

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Yes - Conservative

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Yes - Moderate

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • No - Liberal

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • No - Conservative

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • No - Moderate

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I hate voting

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
The moment we start using the popular vote is the precise moment that we go from being the United States of America to the Republic of America.

speaking of disengenious. You know that Cali has 55 Electoral College Votes, and Delaware has 3. This "swing state" idea you're stuck on is only possible because some states are more politically diverse than others, and thus could swing from left to right. If you want to move to a swing state, go right ahead. I hear Cleveland is nice this time of never. Just don't cry about Cali being so liberal that your vote doesn't matter.

I bet Obama heads to CA for fundraisers and Romney does the same in TX. Maybe they aren't swing states on Election Day but they sure as hell have some sway.

We need to fix gerrymandering whether we change the EC or not, definitely agree. However, even with gerrymandering the House seems to change control with some regularity. Over 50 states with various degrees of gaming the system the Republicans and Democrats largely neutralize each other in that regard. I think the hybrid approach could work about as well as the current system, but has room for improvement.

The House changes control because of swing districts. The same would be true for the Presidency under a EV per district system.

I bet Obama heads to CA for fundraisers and Romney does the same in TX. Maybe they aren't swing states on Election Day but they sure as hell have some sway.

I know they have major influence, which is why I'm confused about RJ and others problem with the Electoral process. Being the last person to make your mind up doesn't give you more power, it just means you get the most attention when it comes time to make a decision.

Back