• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Portable Generator Recommendations?

Buttermaker

Reaction score
I am interesting in getting a portable generator for home use in a power outage as well as tailgate use. I did some quick research and see Honda's are highly rated. Ryobi also but apparently not quite as quiet or powerful. Looks like there are some rechargeable battery options as well as gas. Anyone's experiences and recommendations are welcome.

Definitely get an inverter generator. Theyre significantly quieter. I've used the Honda and a Firman that I got at Costco. Both are good, but the Honda is significantly more expensive.

I use a Honda and wold choose it again. Sometimes I see them on sale but not often. Northern Tools had a great sale on them a few years ago.

I've got a neighbor with the full GENERAC setup. When the power goes out you can hear it humming. I've thought about getting one so that our ice cream won't melt but it's kind of expensive. So I just bought a handgun to keep us safe.

Use the engineered gas (or whatever they call it) from the hardware stores. That stuff can sit for a year (or longer) and still work great.

I've got a neighbor with the full GENERAC setup. When the power goes out you can hear it humming. I've thought about getting one so that our ice cream won't melt but it's kind of expensive. So I just bought a handgun to keep us safe.
LOL!

I’m just going to run an extension cord over to my neighbors generator when the power goes out

I use a Honda and wold choose it again. Sometimes I see them on sale but not often. Northern Tools had a great sale on them a few years ago.
Agree, Honda make great generators. I do not use it often, but every time it works well

Last edited:
Back