• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Didn’t they supposedly have a coach in waiting a while back?

Boeheim seems like the kind of vindictive prick who would stubbornly refuse to resign and prevent his school from hiring someone good. So bully for us!?!

He did stay on beyond what he told Coach-in-Waiting Mike Hopkins he would.

I think Boeheim, like K and Roy, would almost desperately like to have more wins than anyone else (Boeheim needs to include the vacated wins and hope the other two die STAT) and will keep coaching until they literally can’t do it anymore.

But it is possible this incident hastens the process

Regardless, I don't think anyone would argue that Wake is a better job than Cuse, if both were competing for the same coach.

Syracuse is kind of a hard job to evaluate because it’s identity is entirely based on one guy. It’s possible they could absolutely crater if they don’t nail the next hire. The location is absolutely horrific both objectively and relative to other conference members. No real rivalries in conference. Limited NBA representation. And donaldross weeps at their gargantuan arena.

Before anyone goes apeshit, I realize that our current position puts us far below Syracuse on the spectrum. Just saying I don’t believe it’s objectively a great job.

I just have no confidence that Wellman will be able to bring in a good hire. His last two have been just mindboggling. First, he hires a guy with a terrible track record and no success at the college level and then hires one who was a speculative play at best.

I just have no confidence that Wellman will be able to bring in a good hire. His last two have been just mindboggling. First, he hires a guy with a terrible track record and no success at the college level and then hires one who was a speculative play at best.

I have no confidence he will either. What I am confident in is that he's not going anywhere for a few years. Given that, I'd rather he try again than be stuck with a known loser for another 3-5 seasons.

All of that said, given his track record, and that he's near the end of his career, I doubt he gets as much input on the decision as in the past anyway.

I don't think many consider it a shoo-in that Wellman will make a good hire. My guess is that the thought is: 1. Can things really be any worse even if another bad coach is hired? And 2. There is always that small chance that Wellman stumbles his way into a good hire.

I have no confidence he will either. What I am confident in is that he's not going anywhere for a few years. Given that, I'd rather he try again than be stuck with a known loser for another 3-5 seasons.

All of that said, given his track record, and that he's near the end of his career, I doubt he gets as much input on the decision as in the past anyway.

This. It's an indictment of the Wake Forest administration that Wellman will be making the hire, but there's no question that a new hire is necessary. Obviously there are no guarantees, but personally I'd aim for a coach with an established track record of top 50 defense, ideally across multiple seasons. This may be an overreaction to Manning's glaring deficiencies (and to a lesser extant Prosser's) as Dino had us playing respectable defense and was quite evidently not ready for prime time as a head coach, however, that should at least provide a replicable baseline of competitiveness.

I guess for this reason I'd prefer Rhodes or Casey Alexander (if we strike out on Oats, Prohm, Matta) to Oetzelberger or Brannen despite VCU being quite ungood on offense this year, though I'd be ecstatic about either relative to the status quo.

Last edited:
Rhoades? Where we're going, we're not gonna need Rhoades.

back_to_the_future_part_2_12.jpg

Nah, I'm kidding. He should get a call.

Live view of my list: Oats/Matta <tiers> Grant/Rhoades/Brannen

You’d think Wellman would be notably trigger shy after hideously botching his last two BB hires so that he would actually want hiring help. But then, I guess it IS Wellman....

ronnie's not well man.

Seriously though my vote is of no confidence as well but rolling the dice on an accidental good hire is critical at this point.

Rhoades? Where we're going, we're not gonna need Rhoades.

back_to_the_future_part_2_12.jpg

Nah, I'm kidding. He should get a call.

Live view of my list: Oats/Matta <tiers> Grant/Rhoades/Brannen

Isn't Christopher Lloyd a little too old to replace Danny?

I've moved Earl Grant way down my list with CoC down at #114 in KP with an experienced team.

Tier One: Oats, Rhoades, Craig Smith (Utah St.), Matta (if healthy/motivated)
Tier Two: Brannen, Otzelberger, Richey (Furman)
Tier Three: Miller, Turner, Grant, McKay

I've moved Earl Grant way down my list with CoC down at #114 in KP with an experienced team.

Tier One: Oats, Rhoades, Craig Smith (Utah St.), Matta (if healthy/motivated)
Tier Two: Brannen, Otzelberger, Richey (Furman)
Tier Three: Miller, Turner, Grant, McKay

Hadn't noticed that drop w/ Charleston... They've been winning, but wow that schedule is filled with terrible opponents.

My list looks a lot like yours.

Back