• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I have Forbes behind Matta and Oats (and Shaka, assuming he is actually available), but he has a more impressive resume than Miller and Kelsey

But what has Shaka done lately?

Those ETSU teams are some of my favorite teams of all time! They were ranked #9 at one point. Legit.

Serious question: isn’t ETSU a low-major these days? I think they’re in the Atlantic Sun with like Campbell. Isn’t that about the same jump Miller or Kelsey would be making?

They are in the same conference as UNCG. And lost to them twice this season.

Those ETSU teams are some of my favorite teams of all time! They were ranked #9 at one point. Legit.

Serious question: isn’t ETSU a low-major these days? I think they’re in the Atlantic Sun with like Campbell. Isn’t that about the same jump Miller or Kelsey would be making?

ETSU is SoCon

I like Forbes. My top 6 is probably:

Matta if healthy
Oats
Shaka
Rhoades
Forbes
Miller

Purely from a results and experience perspective, Forbes is pretty good. But the success has been mostly driven by jucos and he seems to have a bit of a checkered past. And he just looks like a donk.

Along with Rhoades, I’m gonna keep pumping up Craig Smith.

Pump the brakes, people. After Currie meets with The donald next week, expect another candidate to emerge.

ETSU is SoCon

I like Forbes. My top 6 is probably:

Matta if healthy
Oats
Shaka
Rhoades
Forbes
Miller

I still think Earl Grant should be on the list, if we go for an up and comer. He is looking at his third straight season of 25 plus wins, worked under one the best coaches in the country (Gregg Marshall), and had success as a recruiter in the ACC (Clemson).

Was chris bead at TTU involved in the recent scandal? if not why is he not being talked about?

Was chris bead at TTU involved in the recent scandal? if not why is he not being talked about?

Probably because they’re already paying him over $3 million/year. He’s already built that program up and Wake likely won’t offer him enough to come do another rebuild job.

Chris Beard might be my #1 choice. But he grew up, went to college, and has only ever coached in the state of Texas. So I doubt a job at Wake is appealing to him personally.

Because he makes $3.2M a year, went to UT, spent 4 years as an assistant at UT, and 10 years an assistant at Texas Tech. If Shaka is fired / leaves under duress, he will be at UT next season. If Shaka doesn't leave, Beard will stay put for when he does leave.

Chris Beard might be my #1 choice. But he grew up, went to college, and has only ever coached in the state of Texas. So I doubt a job at Wake is appealing to him personally.

Little Rock is in Texas??

If we want to get someone who matches Beard's profile, Craig Smith is our best bet. Success at lower levels and then made a huge one year impact at a higher level.

Love Chris Beard.

He’s not coming.

It’s fun to look at his pre-Texas Tech resume... One D1 season at Little Rock. Granted, he guided them to a #56 KP finish (in between #235 & #245 seasons), but there were legit questions about his ability to step up in class.

It’s difficult to hire a great, young coach.

Basically, who wants to take their shot at Roy, K, and Boeheim before they're gone? Now's your chance and we're your huckleberry.

Ah, I didn’t realize they had moved back to the Southern Conference after leaving for the Atlantic Sun. Still though, I guess question stands - if folks feel like Miller and Kelsey aren’t ready for an ACC job, why is Forbes different?

Ah, I didn’t realize they had moved back to the Southern Conference after leaving for the Atlantic Sun. Still though, I guess question stands - if folks feel like Miller and Kelsey aren’t ready for an ACC job, why is Forbes different?

Not ready? WTH does that even mean? Have to win in the Big 10 first? Bob Knight has. Hire him, he’s ready! Good lord “folks” are stupid.

Forbes is not towards the top of my list, but he’s had more consistent success / better teams than Miller or Kelsey. 66th in KP this year despite not having seniors so they should be really solid next year.

KP rankings
Year before Forbes: 218
Year 1: 153
Year 2: 67
Year 3: 93
Year 4 (this year): 66

Next year shaping up for what could be a borderline top 25 team if they keep progressing

Back