• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Remember when some posters were worried that Manning would leave for Kansas or even the NBA? Maybe they negotiated a huge buyout on both ends to get him to stay long term. Yes that’s ridiculous but if people were posting it here, maybe people in power were thinking it too.

I do not remember that.

Not saying there weren’t some folks around here with ridiculous ideas like that, but I just don’t remember.

I can’t imagine it’d be a reason for a huge buyout... Especially when you look back at when the extension was signed. Seems like Wellman would have had some leverage given the shitty start to that season.

Last edited:
ATS, the Manning to Kansas idea was floated on the board but was basically good for a laugh.

I have read the Manning contract is fully guaranteed through 2025 at $10.2 million. Final six years at his last reported income of $1.7 million. Math works, that's why I made note of a WAQ.

At this point I think the big donors have stepped in and are calling the shots. When they attended with the BOT to watch the Deacs get blasted at home in a nearly empty Joel, they probably questioned the value of their considerable financial contributions. Accountability stops with them.

The risk with Matta is health. If K, Roy, Jim and Tony are sitting at a table and are told that Matta is the new Wake coach, their reaction would be much different than any other candidate being discussed. Wake would become a legitimate concern.

Last edited:
True story. I remember the Chuck Mills days. I saw him run out onto the field after a ref during a game. Not that it mattered because he was the suckiest suck that ever sucked as a coach. He majored in 1-win seasons. Caldwell era was no fun but...we had the Duncan/Childress regime at that time. No one got bent out of shape over the football team. My contention is in agreement with all of you...football has more going for it right now but basketball will always be king.

No exaggeration: of what few fans we had back in those days, many showed up early to watch All-American punter (who had flamed out as QB) Chuck Ramsey kick during warm-ups (not sure why, as you had plenty of opp's to see him kick during the game). "Kick it, Chuck, kick it!!" was our signature cheer during those days. As far as "rankings", we were Playboy's preseason worst team in the country several times in the mid-70's.

ATS, the Manning to Kansas idea was floated on the board but was basically good for a laugh.

I have read the Manning contract is fully guaranteed through 2025 at $10.2 million. Final six years at his last reported income of $1.7 million. Math works, that's why I made note of a WAQ.

At this point I think the big donors have stepped in and are calling the shots. When they attended with the BOT to watch the Deacs get blasted at home in a nearly empty Joel, they probably questioned the value of their considerable financial contributions. Accountability stops with them.

The risk with Matta is health. If K, Roy, Jim and Tony are sitting at a table and are told that Matta is the new Wake coach, their reaction would be much different than any other candidate being discussed. Wake would become a legitimate concern.

Ha - yeah that’s a pretty good way to look at it. I don’t think Miller or Kelsey would elicit the same response. It would be a “time is a flat circle” moment after the OCC incident and two programs roughly going in opposite directions since...

And even when they charge what you can find laying on the ground for a ticket people still don't want to go. Can't even go there for the Bojangles any more.

People have given me tickets and parking passes for a few games this year. And I probably wouldn't even have gone then except for the fact that you can buy beer in the Joel now.

This is why I believe Matta is the least risky. Hire him and you’re immediately back on the college basketball map. Recruits notice. Hopefully he has fantastic recruiting assistants who can sell Wake well. If he gets into it and his health struggles after a couple of years, ok then, he has to retire. But we aren’t starting over from ground zero. We will have the momentum he brought and other excellent coaches will consider us because they’re picking up where a pedigreed coach left off.

You are correct. Since I am bored I went an looked. I hope this doesn't look like a jumbled mess when I post it. If it does...sorry.

Year Football BB
1979 Tangerine Bowl(L) 12-15 / 3-9
1992 Independence (W) 21-9 / 10-6 (lost regional semi)
1999 Aloha (W) 22-14 / 7-9 (lost in 1st rd)
2002 Seattle (W) 25-6 / 13-3 (lost in 2nd rd)
2007 Orange-Jan (L) 15-16 / 5-11
2007 Meineke-Dec (W) 17-13 / 7-9
2008 EagleBank (W) 24-7 / 11-5 (lost in 1st rd)
2011 Music City (L) 13-18 / 4/12 (Bzaster)
2016 Military (W) 19-14 / 9-9 (Thanks Danny)
2017 Belk (W) 11-20 / 4-14
2018 Birmingham (W) 11-17 / 4-13 (current year’s debacle)

Wasn't the 99-00 b-ball team the NIT champs?

I continue to think that Matta's health issues, while significant, were not as instrumental in his departure from OSU as people seem to think. I keep hearing comments about how he looks a lot older than 51. The dude was ugly in his 30s, too. Ugly people don't tend to age well.

Regardless, he's had a couple of years to rest up and decide if he wants to coach again. If he comes back, I have no doubt that he'll be an excellent coach for whoever hires him. The man can flat out coach college basketball... He has a record of success everywhere he's been.

I think it's a unique opportunity for Wake Forest to become immediately relevant again.

I'm convinced Matta is going to come back and coach somewhere... I'd like it to be for Wake Forest.

Just unconscionable what dereliction of duty Wellman has committed over the past decade. What a frickin' dolt. Who are our attorneys who thought this was a good idea. And AFTER Collins had already left for the NBA. Not like they signed the extension the day after the First Four, then said, "ooops! JC said he would stay!"

I continue to think that Matta's health issues, while significant, were not as instrumental in his departure from OSU as people seem to think. I keep hearing comments about how he looks a lot older than 51. The dude was ugly in his 30s, too. Ugly people don't tend to age well.

Daaaannngg...

Come on ATS, coaching recruits read this board!!!!!111

No exaggeration: of what few fans we had back in those days, many showed up early to watch All-American punter (who had flamed out as QB) Chuck Ramsey kick during warm-ups (not sure why, as you had plenty of opp's to see him kick during the game). "Kick it, Chuck, kick it!!" was our signature cheer during those days. As far as "rankings", we were Playboy's preseason worst team in the country several times in the mid-70's.

Jeff Dobbs did provide some great sideline entertainment. I wonder if he ever rolled his neck off of his shoulders. Dude was pretty amazing.

I missed seeing the article :cool:

People have given me tickets and parking passes for a few games this year. And I probably wouldn't even have gone then except for the fact that you can buy beer in the Joel now.

My son and I were at the Wake Forest Baseball Showcase at Couch Stadium the weekend that the season opened against NCA&T. We had a 4 hour break so we walked over to see the game. I saw right away that this was going to be a long season. Thankfully the beers chilled me out.

Regardless, he's had a couple of years to rest up and decide if he wants to coach again. If he comes back, I have no doubt that he'll be an excellent coach for whoever hires him. The man can flat out coach college basketball... He has a record of success everywhere he's been.

I think it's a unique opportunity for Wake Forest to become immediately relevant again.

I'm convinced Matta is going to come back and coach somewhere... I'd like it to be for Wake Forest.
The fact that Matta is actually younger than Manning will never not absolutely blow my mind.

Back