• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Or maybe, and hear me out, you can be a good enough coach to turn Texas Tech into one of the elite programs in the country.

Because I’m pretty sure that’s what Beard is going to do.

He’s not going anywhere.

You can rip on the Big 12 all you like, but it’s not really a lesser conference.

even when the one and done rule changes...nothing will draw the top talent to Texas Tech...they will always go to the blue bloods. sure he may get one every now and then, but the ceiling is only so high unless like I said, you are kansas. Kansas being in the big 12 alone means it wont happen for Texas Tech. the ACC in basketball is the SEC in football...it has the highest ceilings. look at salaries if you want proof

Wake hasn't been to a Final Four in 57 years. Having a coach who knows what it is like to get there has to be a plus.

In 11 years at GT, Hewitt had a winning ACC record once. In the 7 seasons after the Final Four year, he made the NCAAT only 3 times, never getting beyond the second round. At GMU, he never finished higher than third in the conference. I'm looking for someone who has shown he can win consistently. I'm just seeing Smart as a younger version of Hewitt.

Kevin Ollie won a natty. I would not be happy to hear him named Wake’s next coach.

That’s fair. But I sure wish we could get a Final Four with a questionable coach like Tech and UConn did. We are so far behind.

the final four appearance is not why shaka is a strong candidate (or why he was a top candidate when he took the texas job)

Shaka's four years look slightly worse than Barnes last four years. if the Longhorns lose in the first round of the B12 tourney, I don't see him coming back to Austin. They can afford the $12.9M buyout which is LESS than what WF reportedly owes Manning. Texas has to be salivating over Beard or Buzz Williams (bonus whammy to send VT back to shit).

If Shaka is smart :)cool:) then he is already speaking with Wellman/Currie. This could be Ron's legacy stamp on trying to right his basketball wrongs by getting the guy he wanted years ago.

Smart's first attempt at P6 was meh, but he proved that he can recruit. A change of scenery and a strong staff could be what he needs. Plus, he's young enough to make WF his own as K, Roy and Boheim retire soon. But if he came in and just started consistently beating Clemson, VT, Miami, BC, GT, Pitt... he would be a hero given where we've been.

It just seems weird that he never got going at Texas, when he had top-ranked guys. Little scary that his regular season performance at VCU was worse than all his contemporaries. But he's got that post season magic and he'd be the best hoops hire we've ever had on paper.

I'm coming around to the idea that he's a good-to-very good hire with large upside.

Would he use havoc in his next gig?

even when the one and done rule changes...nothing will draw the top talent to Texas Tech...they will always go to the blue bloods. sure he may get one every now and then, but the ceiling is only so high unless like I said, you are kansas. Kansas being in the big 12 alone means it wont happen for Texas Tech. the ACC in basketball is the SEC in football...it has the highest ceilings. look at salaries if you want proof

Sure, but we’re Wake Forest. We’re not Duke or UNC. Just like Texas Tech isn’t Kansas.

My point was that an elite coach can elevate a program to a point where there are limited jobs that would be perceived as better.

Sure, but we’re Wake Forest. We’re not Duke or UNC. Just like Texas Tech isn’t Kansas.

My point was that an elite coach can elevate a program to a point where there are limited jobs that would be perceived as better.

Who knows what will happen to Duke after K. UNC will be UNC always.

Probably discussed but why is Shaka struggling so much at Texas? They appear awful.

Ok, there is no way Wake signs a contract with a guy that has only made the first 4 of the NCAA's. Wellman is a lot of things but he's not stupid. In fact I think he has everyone wrapped around his finger. Wake doesn't report coaches salaries, we can only find out on past financials what was paid. So how does this $18M number get out? Ron wanted it out. Everyone thinks that we owe DM $18M when he gets fired. Then when we pay him something like $3.5M Ron's a hero for saving $14.5M.

Or he could have put that out there to legitimize keeping DM if he has some sort of decent year.

Wake is beyond a private University. We don't tell the press squat unless we want them to know it. I call bs on the scoop that we owe DM $18M

Shaka's four years look slightly worse than Barnes last four years. if the Longhorns lose in the first round of the B12 tourney, I don't see him coming back to Austin. They can afford the $12.9M buyout which is LESS than what WF reportedly owes Manning. Texas has to be salivating over Beard or Buzz Williams (bonus whammy to send VT back to shit).

If Shaka is smart :)cool:) then he is already speaking with Wellman/Currie. This could be Ron's legacy stamp on trying to right his basketball wrongs by getting the guy he wanted years ago.

Smart's first attempt at P6 was meh, but he proved that he can recruit. A change of scenery and a strong staff could be what he needs. Plus, he's young enough to make WF his own as K, Roy and Boheim retire soon. But if he came in and just started consistently beating Clemson, VT, Miami, BC, GT, Pitt... he would be a hero given where we've been.

It just seems weird that he never got going at Texas, when he had top-ranked guys. Little scary that his regular season performance at VCU was worse than all his contemporaries. But he's got that post season magic and he'd be the best hoops hire we've ever had on paper.

I'm coming around to the idea that he's a good-to-very good hire with large upside.

Would he use havoc in his next gig?

I noticed his Texas teams play at a really slow tempo. Was it the same at VCU?

Ok, there is no way Wake signs a contract with a guy that has only made the first 4 of the NCAA's. Wellman is a lot of things but he's not stupid. In fact I think he has everyone wrapped around his finger. Wake doesn't report coaches salaries, we can only find out on past financials what was paid. So how does this $18M number get out? Ron wanted it out. Everyone thinks that we owe DM $18M when he gets fired. Then when we pay him something like $3.5M Ron's a hero for saving $14.5M.

Or he could have put that out there to legitimize keeping DM if he has some sort of decent year.

Wake is beyond a private University. We don't tell the press squat unless we want them to know it. I call bs on the scoop that we owe DM $18M

Wellman signed Bzz and Manning and you don’t think he could possibly extend a contract when it’s not warranted?

I noticed his Texas teams play at a really slow tempo. Was it the same at VCU?

Not sure, I don't have Kenpom access anymore but sure someone could supply that. But other teams with slow tempos also are really efficient (VT, Virginia, Michigan, Villanova) like Texas.

Longhorns have a higher rated offense than defense this season. Funny cause I saw quite a few Texas fans complain about offense but not much about defense, maybe because that pace seems real slow.

Texas is one of the "unluckiest" teams in all of college basketball. Lots of close loses to good teams. B12 is strong again this year.

Probably discussed but why is Shaka struggling so much at Texas? They appear awful.

They aren't awful this year, they beat UNC, Kansas and Kansas St. Their worst losses aren't even that bad (Radford, at Georgia) but a super strong SOS. Lots of close ones. They could still be in the tournament with a weak bubble.

But Shaka's overall stint there is meh at best, 67-65 with 0 NCAA wins. Not sure why he hasn't been able to breakthrough overall.

Not sure, I don't have Kenpom access anymore but sure someone could supply that. But other teams with slow tempos also are really efficient (VT, Virginia, Michigan, Villanova) like Texas.

Longhorns have a higher rated offense than defense this season. Funny cause I saw quite a few Texas fans complain about offense but not much about defense, maybe because that pace seems real slow.

Texas is one of the "unluckiest" teams in all of college basketball. Lots of close loses to good teams. B12 is strong again this year.

I just looked at a few years. For tempo, VCU in 2015 was 70, 2014 was 22nd, 2013 was 91, 2012 was 173, 2011 was 156. The super slow tempo appears to be a new development for Shaka.

I want a home run hire that can make basketball fun again. Not asking for much. Just a few ACC championships, some trips to the final 4 and at least a natty. If Shaka were to come to Wake Forest and implement Chaos the energy would be...fun.

Louisville fired their coach and got the best one on the market.

They fired a coach who had won a National Championship at Louisville (and another at Kentucky) We are firing Danny Manning, who has won nothing as a coach.

Sure. We were talking about how well programs under investigation could do on the market.

Back