• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

So did Manning reach 5% this year. Folks, why do we not want to give our team the best possible chance to win? Proper stadium, Proper AD, Proper Coach. Need everything working together. Our alums last stood up and building an ideal arena in 1935. We have been in civic centers since. Unacceptable. We should strive for the best in all facets of the program. Even if you think the home arena is only 5% of the equation, you should want that 5% to be perfect.

I haven't seen this year's attendance numbers, but I'm pretty sure we drew more than 5% of capacity. Our games weren't well attended, but we had more than 730 people per game.

The point is, when we're winning, the Joel is a great atmosphere. Could there be improvement? Sure. But when you're on the Titanic, who cares how the deck chairs are arranged?

Also, I also don't get the Oats love. He's an interesting candidate, but why is he better than Turner or Forbes.

Oats last gig was high school. Yes, high school. He was fortunate to get a D1 job with Hurley leaving. No doubt his results at Buffalo are great, but the overall sample size is small. Hurley set the table there.

I really hope ASU finds a way to beat St John’s so we can see the teacher vs the student. Buffalo with the limited resources would be favored over Mr Hurley and his P5 resources. I also think Wake has the pieces that a good coach can come in and immediately make an impact as opposed to looking at the gig as a 3-4 year rebuild.

Oats coached Buffalo to a 31-3 record and top 25 appearance. That's better than anything Turner or Forbes have accomplished.

Oates
Shaka
Matta
Rhoades

Sadly, none of those are probably happening.

Oates
Shaka
Matta
Rhoades

Sadly, none of those are probably happening.

Yes, I think those are probably are top, realistic candidates and probably are in the right order. Next up are Smith, Turner, and Brannen.

Feel a lot better about this crop than the options we were kicking around last year.

Oats coached Buffalo to a 31-3 record and top 25 appearance. That's better than anything Turner or Forbes have accomplished.

I think Oats would be a fantastic hire.

But I've watched a fair bit of Steve "Flat Tax" Forbes and think he is really, really good as well. I have watched very little of Turner, but his record at UC-I is impressive - especially when you consider the "historical competitiveness" of that program.

I think Oats would be a fantastic hire.

But I've watched a fair bit of Steve "Flat Tax" Forbes and think he is really, really good as well. I have watched very little of Turner, but his record at UC-I is impressive - especially when you consider the "historical competitiveness" of that program.

No to Forbes, would rather have Wes. Forbes is at best the same as Miller + the possibility of being dirty.

No to Forbes, would rather have Wes. Forbes is at best the same as Miller + the possibility of being dirty.

I would also rather have Wes, but I think Forbes could be good as well. The Forbes recruiting stuff was just having a kid over to a cookout... and trying to cover it up. I would just chalk that up to a stupid decision, and one he is unlikely to repeat.*

*Obviously, Wake would need to get comfortable that he has learned from that issue and is unlikely to do something dumb again.

Yes, exactly, the point isn't that those with Wake ties are better. The point is you really have a lot of knowledge of the person. If you go hire the Tulsa coach, you really have no clue what he's like. If you are associated with Wake, we know you and know which of you to hire and, frankly, which ones of you not to hire. We have done a horrible job of identifying talent outside the Wake pool and have done a great job identifying those in our pool who should be promoted. That is not a coincidence.

The worst part of the Manning hire was that Wellman was on the NCAA Selection Committee for at least of couple of years before his hiring. He would/should have been in the know on all of the up and comers and established coaches. He blew it. Big Time.

The worst part of the Manning hire was that Wellman was on the NCAA Selection Committee for at least of couple of years before his hiring. He would/should have been in the know on all of the up and comers and established coaches. He blew it. Big Time.

Wellman was so pissed he had to fire his boi [Redacted] that he purposely blew the next hire.

A little Anteater love from BR: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...al-cinderella-teams-in-the-field-of-68#slide5

Record: 30-5

Conference: Big West

Best wins: Texas A&M

NCAA tournament seeding: 13

Opening-round opponent: Kansas State

The Anteaters of UC Irvine are a spicy upset pick here at the outset. The injury to top forward Dean Wade, which at the very least will limit him here if he even plays at all, has Kansas State in an uncomfortable position, and that makes this pick a fun one to make. The fact that they are called the Anteaters? Well, that only enhances all of this.

There is the small drawback that UC Irvine ranks 250th nationally in strength of schedule, according to KenPom. And yet, they sit 58th in adjusted defense. On seven occasions they held a team below 50.

That bodes well against a Kansas State team suddenly missing its second-leading scorer (12.9) and top rebounder (6.2).

Forbes has a 72% winning percentage at ETSU, Miller has a 55% winning percentage at UNCG. If you look just at the last 4 years (Forbe's tenure at ETSU), it's 72% vs 69%. The only way Miller has a more favorable win percentage is if you cherry pick the only 3 years (of 8!) he has had a winning record (the last 3), where it's 75% vs 77%. Even then, Forbes' teams were still better, with an average KP of 76th vs 95th for Miller.

In short, I think much more reasonable to say that Miller is at best the same as Forbes + the possibility that he will only be successful with this one player group (because he was quite unsuccessful with previous player groups...).

He was sitting courtside for Florida Gulf Coast and Andy Enfield's Dunk City and it left him unmoved. The man has no soul.

I Made a Crappy Looking Table

I made a table to sort possible candidates by D1 winning percentage. Also includes wins and top conference they've coached and the age of each. Sorry that it looks like ass. Would be nice to have Avg. KP ranking as that would help differentiate among them, too.

Name % D1 Wins Top Conference Age
Eric Musselman 0.769 110 Mountain West 54
Thad Matta 0.74 439 Big10 51
Bob Richey 0.727 48 SOCON 35
Steve Forbes 0.725 100 SOCON 53
Gregg Marshall 0.724 486 AAC 56
John Becker 0.699 193 America East 50
Steve Prohm 0.698 187 Big12 44
Nate Oats 0.693 95 MAC 44
TJ Otzelberger 0.686 70 Summit 41
Mick Cronin 0.682 365 AAC 47
Matt McMahon 0.677 86 OVC 40
Shaka Smart 0.652 229 Big12 41
Ryan Odom 0.65 67 America East 44
Craig Smith 0.637 107 Mountain West 46
Pat Kelsey 0.626 139 Big South 43
Anthony Grant 0.625 228 SEC 52
Earl Grant 0.612 101 Colonial 42
Greg McDermott 0.598 354 BigEast 54
Russell Turner 0.596 187 BIG WEST 48
Steve Wojciechowski 0.588 97 Big East 42
Mike Young 0.551 298 SOCON 55
Wes Miller 0.547 140 SOCON 36
Brian Wardle 0.524 153 Missouri Valley 39
Porter Moser 0.522 246 Missouri Valley 50
Casey Alexander 0.51 123 Atlantic Sun 46
Pat Chambers 0.5 169 Big 10 48
LaVall Jordan 0.471 48 Big East 39

Top Overall Candidates:
Matta, Prohm, Marshall, Musselman, Cronin, Smart

My Top Candidates - Likely Available:
Oats, Richey, Otzelberger, McMahon, Forbes, Craig Smith, A. Grant, Becker, W. Miller, Odom, Kelsey

Last edited:
Not that we care so much what they think, but the only two hires that would make our UNC, Duke & State fans a little worried are Matta and Shaka.

It is remarkable that no one has mentioned Josh Howard, as far as I know. He is already in W-S and has been building his resume at PIU. And, surely he knows the culture at WFU. Why is he not a prime candidate?

This is not a serious proposal,BTW.

Back