• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Why would we settle for Miller?

We need a home run hire. We cannot take a consecutive third strike on someone who is unproven.

Plus, he has already turned down Wake in the past by attending school with the blue goats.

Does anyone have proof that Skip did not offer a walk on position to the son of the person that funded the on-campus basketball practice facility?

This rumor has been posted and quoted on this board for years as the gospel but I find this hard to believe. There is always room for a walk-on. Skip would not go out of his way to offend a major donor by refusing to find a place for his son on the team.

Seth Greenberg allegedly told Dell Curry that he didn't have room for Steph. Dell wasn't a benefactor was going to pay the same tuition, etc. as any parent. You don't turn down a parent whose jersey hangs in the rafters.

I've examined this closely and am good with hiring Wes and Ashley Love Miller to be our next coach.

Dl9y6f-W4AA2Y9H.jpg

Using the Andy Enfield standard?

Miller would be a hugely underwhelming hire based on actual results and not some alleged ESP regarding what makes a future legendary coach. He may be the best we can do given the unfortunate state of our program but that by no means makes him a great hire.

I don't know why you guys are hesitating. RJ liked BZ and Manning. He hates Miller.

Case closed. Miller will be the next great coach.

Seriously, what are the odds RJ would be right about something this important. I guess there would have to be a first time, but what are the odds that this would be that time. Probably a long shot.

Has Chris Beard done too well at Texas Tech to be a candidate?

I have mentioned Chris Beard before. Arguably one of the best hires we could make. He has won at every collegiate level. Big problem is that he is from and has only coached in Texas. Doubtful someone just decides to move to NC. But for sure he’d be a PHENOMENAL hire. Tier 1 get in my opinion.

No real reason to believe any team in the top 20 or so of the rankings or KP would come to Wake other than Oats right?

I have mentioned Chris Beard before. Arguably one of the best hires we could make. He has won at every collegiate level. Big problem is that he is from and has only coached in Texas. Doubtful someone just decides to move to NC. But for sure he’d be a PHENOMENAL hire. Tier 1 get in my opinion.

He is most.probably in Tier 0. Coaches you would love to have at Wake but there is 0 chance of them actually ever coaching at Wake.

Miller would be a hugely underwhelming hire based on actual results and not some alleged ESP regarding what makes a future legendary coach. He may be the best we can do given the unfortunate state of our program but that by no means makes him a great hire.

Good luck with that take on this board.

Yeah, Beard has a legit chance at getting a UCLA, Duke, UNC-tier offer within the next couple years. Zero shot at him.

He's making $3.1M at TT and has a long-term contract. He is full on TX.

He's got a program that is doing well. How much do you think it would cost to get out of the area he loves to do a total rebuild a thousand miles away?

Yeah, Beard has a legit chance at getting a UCLA, Duke, UNC-tier offer within the next couple years. Zero shot at him.

He may have a shot at UCLA. He's got no shot at either UNC or Duke.

As I've shown, I wasn't even alive the last time UNC hired someone with zero ties to the school, and I'm fucking old.

K wants a legacy. He's got multiple former Dookie players and assistant coaches jostling for the position to replace him. Other than Brad Stevens, there is no one outside of K's lineage that has a shot.

Last edited:
No real reason to believe any team in the top 20 or so of the rankings or KP would come to Wake other than Oats right?

Will Wade at LSU might think about it. He does have ACC and regional contacts. He was an assistant at Clemson and assistant and HC at VCU. He was also at Harvard for three years.

He had killer 2018 recruiting year.

We'd probably have to offer $3.M or more given that he's being paid $2.5M at LSU.

He's only 36. His resume does look like it would work at Wake.

EDIT: I might have Wade and Oats as co-#1 with Matta behind them.

Go big or go home.

Last edited:
will wade is interesting

he's got a better overall winning % as a head coach than Shaka

Wade wouldn't be bad but a major lingering question I have is will we be able to afford the pay out to Danny plus a big contract on top? I'd hope so but do we just have $15-20 million sitting around?

The new ESPN contract should help.

Given the miserable attendance we have had for the past years, we could add 4000 more tix per game. Even at $40-50 each (including parking and concessions), this would create about $2.5M in revenues to take care of those issues.

I mean we get like $20 million a year on tv contracts already, I just don't know how that money is allocated and already earmarked.

Wade wouldn't be bad but a major lingering question I have is will we be able to afford the pay out to Danny plus a big contract on top? I'd hope so but do we just have $15-20 million sitting around?

We WILL if he wins. More butts in seats will make more $$$.

Last edited:
Back