• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I don't think he understands the meaning of "unjust." Maybe an argument against firing now, but I agree with Racer, it's more of a justification for his firing.

And to the post about ESPN and a black eye...anytime Wake is mentioned in any media it is what a joke we are. If we make a good hire we will get good press. If we make a mediocre to poor hire, we will just continue to be a joke. No real downside.

With ESPN now weighing in on DM, it is going to make it harder to get rid of him without taking a public black eye. The situation is clearly going from bad to worse.

Which is probably why I'm guessing his agent is the one that leaked the buyout, and why it may not be the entire story.

I'm confused what's being argued here. No one is arguing we get negative press for firing DM, right?

I'm confused what's being argued here. No one is arguing we get negative press for firing DM, right?

there will inevitably be someone who laments Wake firing such a tourney legend. Especially if it happens before/during the tournament whenever they inevitably talk about Danny and the Miracles.

there will inevitably be someone who laments Wake firing such a tourney legend. Especially if it happens before/during the tournament whenever they inevitably talk about Danny and the Miracles.

Is it really inevitable? We've been expecting this inevitable good press for several Marches.

I already didn't want to watch us play much. But hearing commentators talk about Danny and the Miracles makes me change the channel. It is a reminder of listening to RW try and sell us on a mediocre hire waaaaaaay down on our list because he used to be good at playing basketball over a decade before any of his players were born.

The only negative press will be about how stupid we are for owing him that much cash. Wake won't comment either way, so it'll stick and people will think we're stupid. Which is true, just maybe not to the degree that will be thought.

Is it really inevitable? We've been expecting this inevitable good press for several Marches.

I mean when Kansas plays or some one-man team rolls through the tourney they'll show old footage and talk about '88 and will probably lament he wasn't given a better chance at WF

No one gives a shit about Wake Forest basketball. We could set Danny Manning on fire on the Quad and maaaaaaaybe it would get mentioned by the talking heads between breaths, assuming Zion Williamson didn't have like a cool dunk or jump or something.

He was given a great chance here he couldn't get it done

WF would not get negative press for terminating DM after 5 years. He had a fair chance to build the program and failed.

The negative press would be in the form of:

- WF: where coaches' careers die; or
- WF: tough place to win

That rep (which I don't agree with; just think that WF mis-fired on its last two hires) will be further cemented until WF has a good run again.

FWIW, I remain skeptical about whether a move will be made after the season. Enough people here that seem to have some insight seem convinced that WF will find the cash and the wherewithal to make a coaching move, but until Wellman holds the presser confirming this, I am a doubter. I can just see the administration buying the "WF is young" and "Manning just needs a little more time" excuses. We shall see.

What are comparable past examples of coaches with Manning’s 5 year track record getting a 6th year?

WF would not get negative press for terminating DM after 5 years. He had a fair chance to build the program and failed.

That rep (which I don't agree with; just think that WF mis-fired on its last two hires) will be further cemented until WF has a good run again.

FWIW, I remain skeptical about whether a move will be made after the season. Enough people here that seem to have some insight seem convinced that WF will find the cash and the wherewithal to make a coaching move, but until Wellman holds the presser confirming this, I am a doubter. I can just see the administration buying the "WF is young" and "Manning just needs a little more time" excuses. We shall see.

Another year of watching him on the sidelines and the post game interviews will be enough to end it for many fans. That would be a tragic mistake but I am not convinced either.

I mean when Kansas plays or some one-man team rolls through the tourney they'll show old footage and talk about '88 and will probably lament he wasn't given a better chance at WF

Has this happened yet? Last year was the 30th anniversary and it was barely mentioned.

Wes Miller? Didn’t get higher than #220 in Kenpom until his 6th year.

I was trying to come up with a major conference example. Jerry Wainwright popped in my head, but he did not finish his 5th season. Purnell followed him and was gone after 5.

Jay John? 1 winning season (year 3) and he did not finish his 6th season.

With ESPN now weighing in on DM, it is going to make it harder to get rid of him without taking a public black eye. The situation is clearly going from bad to worse.
They weighed in on every coach perceived to be on the hot seat and purposely made a contrarian argument for each (why Coach X should not be fired), so I wouldn't really think WF is going to have any more of a bad image than before if Manning is fired.

I too have my doubts that Manning will be let go. I emailed with a couple friends in the AD at the beginning of the year and they were all playing the we are young excuse we've heard now for a fucking decade. one of them told me that wake is so behind other ACC schools in facilities ECT to which I responded Yes but we're definitely ahead of Houston Baptist Gardner Webb and all the other shit teams Manning has lost too. Excuses reign supreme under Emporer dick face

Our athletics folks and donors can always make excuses.

I think the big question is whether Wellman and the decision makers believe that Manning and the staff contributed to the mass exodus last year. We all think that was the case and players for whatever reason don’t like playing for Manning. We are young because of Manning. However, this is all speculation from what I can tell. If Crawford, Woods and Doral were around this year , we still would have underachieved and been dysfunctional, but we likely win enough games for Manning to keep his job. If Wellman believes Manning is just a victim of the times like Manning always states, then we are in trouble.

Back