• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I don't know who I would want less between Kelsey or Odom but I do know they're both at the bottom of any reasonable names listed on here.

Yup. Why the hell would we hire either of those over say TJ Otzelberger who has a better rep as a recruiter and more success as a head coach?

Why the fuck would we want to hire him?

Agree 1000%. As hard as this may be to believe, our current head coach is more qualified and has accomplished more than Pat Kelsey (and I am not advocating staying the course). The pool of candidates is not restricted to those that have worked at WF or are related to former coaches.

Kelsey's Winthrop team finished this season, losing 4 of 5 and by getting trounced by a school called "Charleston Southern" in the Big South quarters. Charleston Southern is coached by someone named Bradley Radebaugh. Do you want to hire Bradley Radebaugh as WF's next coach? He arguably did a better job coaching than Kelsey did this past year.

Last edited:
I wanna say that if we didn't fire Manning then the fanbase would be lost for good, because that seems like the worst possible news that would come from our athletic department, but we're idiots and have come back after every knockdown so far, so we'd still talk ourselves into "NEXT YEAR!" and that big time coach coming here after Manning craps the bed next year too.

Don't want to start a new thread, but this popped up on my YouTube feed this morning. Not only does Buffalo have much, much, much better content on their YouTube page, but they have more subscribers than Wake:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fMl4Xc5TBqOq2M7ijJjzQ

These two videos, in particular, are what we should be striving for if we had a Sports Marketing team and Basketball coach worth a damn. Appears to be a very well done daily video series they are running during the conference tourney:

UB Jouney to the Tourney Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9RFpDJOe2w

UB Journey to the Tourney Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoWYnqGZ5ow

This is the kind of stuff I would expect from a young, aggressive coach and AD vs the bullshit we've been subject to during Wellman's reign. Hopefully Currie and the new coach can turn our AD around.

Kelsey is a long, long way from qualified. I had this argument with some donk over on 247 whose claim to fame is being a high school coach that got to watch Kelsey run some drills as the 3rd (4th?) assistant at Wake 10+ years ago. From that experience, and the fact that Kelsey has a lot of wins against some of the worst SOS in all of Div1, he's convinced Kelsey is the next great coach.

Kelsey has four top 100 wins in seven years at Winthrop. They didn't beat a single top 150 team this year.

Wake beat five top 100 teams this year alone and we were terrible.

Because he’s passionate. Remember what it’s like to have a passionate coach on the sideline? Me neither.

I’d sign up for Kelsey tomorrow.

There are passionate coaches who have accomplished far more. Kelsey is 1-2 jobs away from consideration. He had a shot at the next step and screwed it up.

Interesting article in the Washington Post about the Kelvin Sampson redemption/career revival at Houston. According to the article, many of his "illegal contact" recruiting phone call violations would not be NCAA violations today. The NCAA changed its rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...n-outworked-his-shame/?utm_term=.212612c85800

Not suggesting him as a potential candidate for Wake, just a perspective on a coach and the NCAA.

Hire me. I will be passionate. I will be Dick Fick on the sidelines. I will get tossed within 2 game minutes of any Jamie Luckie game.

Then let's just hire Flavor Flav.

t65ce8.jpg

VCU looking good against URI so far. Impressed with both their offense and defense. However, one of their top players just blew out his knee with 6mins left in the first half. Still I'd have Mike Rhoades and John Brannen from NKU above the Miller/Kelsey/Odom/LOWF tier.

There are passionate coaches who have accomplished far more. Kelsey is 1-2 jobs away from consideration. He had a shot at the next step and screwed it up.

I'm a big Kelsey fan but you're absolutely correct. He's at least a job away from being ready.

VCU looking good against URI so far. Impressed with both their offense and defense. However, one of their top players just blew out his knee with 6mins left in the first half. Still I'd have Mike Rhoades and John Brannen from NKU above the Miller/Kelsey/Odom/LOWF tier.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to netflixnchildres again.

I used to be on board the Kelsey train, but I've backed off. I thought he'd be good for us when Wellman was in charge and I figured he'd be bringing in [Redacted] 3.0. I would have rather had a young inexperienced coach with potential who cared a hell of a lot, than an old tired retread. My perspective was 'I think Kelsey and Odom would bring an unmatched passion to restore Wake to it's former glory, and I'd rather take a chance on them than boring ass Russel Turner or Tad Boyle.' But with Welman more or less out of the picture I think that opens up a ton more opportunity and greatly broadens the candidate pool for potential so Kelsey and Odom fall way down the preference list.

Yup. Why the hell would we hire either of those over say TJ Otzelberger who has a better rep as a recruiter and more success as a head coach?

On record favoring Matta, Oats, Smart. After that, if we fall into mid-major ranks, I like Odom and Kelsey with Wake connections. I just don't understand the obsession with random mid-major coaches that have no idea who we are and what it is like to coach and recruit here. They have as good a chance to fail in the ACC as succeed. If we're going to take a flyer on one of these guys, the idea that their KenPom ranking in a shitty conference somehow is a correlation to success in the ACC is just ridiculous.

The anti-Odom crew here pisses on the fact that he's in a low major conference or he's another step away. FYI, the Horizon league sucks and Summit league sucks even more...worse than the America East. But somehow TJ Otzelberger and John Brannen is ready for the Wake job but Odom isn't?

TJ has more P6 experience and has been considered a top recruiter in the B12 and P12. His results as a HC are better than Odom's.

Both of those conferences are better than America East. The AE is the seventh worst and that’s only because Vermont is in the conference. Everyone else sucks including UMBC.

Back