• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

So you think its a good idea to hire someone who is not ready for the ACC?

WTH does that even mean? Was K ready when hired out of Army at 33? Was Dean ready when hired with no head coaching experience at 31.

As I’ve said many times, the best candidate isn’t the one with best resume who is “ready” (that would be Bob Knight). The best candidate is the one who would be great at Wake over the next 30.

He better be ready for the ACC if he takes the job. Too competitive for on the job training.

Those dissing Wes Miller have clearly not seen his teams play. He is an excellent young coach with a very high level of intensity. Very high. He may not be quite ready for the ACC but he will be at some point.

That's literally what the people "dissing" him are saying.

Idea: Manning to Atlanta Hawks as an assistant coach.

Shaka to Wake and no buy-out for Texas, so they contribute half of the $6M buyout for Manning which allows him to coach immediately, which just so happens to be asst. for the Hawks.

The speculation is great and all, but where is the legit intel from our “superusers”? The silence is really nerve wracking. If JC allows Manning to come back - it will be a much bigger mistake than trying to hire Schiano at TENN. To me, the lack of leaked info suggests that this ain’t going to happen. Just saying.

WTH does that even mean? Was K ready when hired out of Army at 33? Was Dean ready when hired with no head coaching experience at 31.

As I’ve said many times, the best candidate isn’t the one with best resume who is “ready” (that would be Bob Knight). The best candidate is the one who would be great at Wake over the next 30.

K had five seasons at Army and had both played for and served as an assistant coach under Bobby Knight. In addition, he had five years as an Army Officer. Failure in that job often means people die. In his five seasons coaching Army he had a winning overall record (73-59). That is hard to do when you usually have inferior talent. So yeah, he was "ready" when Duke hired him. Five years as an Army officer and leader. Five years, head coach US Military Academy at West Point.

Dean Smith got the uNC job in 1961 because Frank McGuire was forced to resign over the point shaving scandal,recruiting violations and NCAA probation. Assistant Coach Dean Smith was promoted and was simply asked to "clean up" the program, and uNC played the ACC schedule plus Indiana and Notre Dame that year (8-9 record). During prior years in the Air Force, Dean had been Head Coach at the US Air Force Academy Golf and Baseball teams. A few years later, Dean was infamously hung in effigy in 1965 after his team lost to Wake. He was hired directly by the Chancellor, not by the AD.

Hiring a coach today is not the same as hiring a coach 60 or 40 years ago. If you want to use either of these models to hire a coach today, I would not predict similar success. I would hazard a guess that you would have a hard time finding any current D1 basketball coach who had five years as an Army officer before getting his first coaching job.

I, too, had been stressing about rolling Manning out for another year ... until running across Ben Sutton's Twitter feed (see March 11 post where he writes, "TRUST the magic of fresh starts and new beginnings. #WipeTheSlateClean #LetsGetGoing."). Got to believe now that a change is coming.

But I don't think it will be Shaka. If Bennett heads to UCLA, I could easily envision Shaka at U-Va. If the hammer comes down on Josh Pastner, I can see Shaka and his wife being very comfortable in Atlanta. Wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be are zeroing in on Matta.

Anyone out there know when the Sutton Sports Performance Center / Shah Basketball Complex will be completed?

Telling us to trust “new beginnings” is either cruel trolling or a nice subtle wink.

Reaction in Knoxville would happen again to ANY SEC school. Would prob happen to any P5 program.

Most people in Knoxville don’t realize the program is in deep shit for the foreseeable future. If Florida and Georgia have competent leaders in charge, UT is playing for third place in the SEC East. Schiano might have been a good hire. Leach definitely would have been.

FWIW don't think Vols fans were adamantly against Leach, at least IIRC. That was just a Fullmer Shakesperian power play

A
All LEVELLE does is dance

Although others surely will disagree, I think that we should at least interview him if a change is made. He was quite a player and now an excellent coach. Have no idea if he is ready for ACC ball and Wake's academic standards.

Oats set a new MAC record for total wins in a season (31) with his victory in the MAC tournament championship game tonight.

A

Although others surely will disagree, I think that we should at least interview him if a change is made. He was quite a player and now an excellent coach. Have no idea if he is ready for ACC ball and Wake's academic standards.

I agree. He gets the most out of his teams and seems extremely personable. I think he’d recruit well.

Back