• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Even if Miller was hired and didn't pan out, the talking points have been pre-written...."We needed to do something bold and risky. It didn't work out, so what. We need to do it again until we find our Coach K or Bob Knight. Time for me to go pay $2 to become a member at Augusta you losers".

Is he wrong? It is time to do something bold and risky.

Why don’t you like Turner?

I like Turner. I think he is a good head coach. But he’s probably around 10th or so on my list.

I just meant that I’m not advocating for him.

Negatives are: West coast, age, length of time at the same job (with no real standout seasons, until this one)

No huge red flags, just not all that exciting. Medium risk, low reward.

Holy shit...maybe we can get KU to eat Manning's buyout? Dare to dream? What if KU essentially pays us to hire Shaka? WHAT IF THIS WAS ALL PART OF WELLMANS 10 YEAR MASTER PLAN FOR HOOPS?

In that case clearly you need to donate $25 to the RJkarl Will Get a Shaka Tattoo if We Hire Shaka Fund.

The likelihood that you’ve watched more than a few minutes of Miller, Kelsey, and Turner coach is very low. Say what you want about DR’s delivery of his message, but he follows all these programs closely and his opinion is informed by actually watchin these guys.

And some middle aged lawyer in Greensboro is qualified to identify the best coaching candidates how? I’d like to understand how is credentials are better than mine (which essentially don’t exist) or anyone else?

Let’s be clear, his list of 3 is all about DR and not about what’s best for Wake. He wants to be this wise voice from the shadows whose motivation is driven by a desire to tell everyone “I told you so”. Keep in mind he’s still saying we should have hired Miller 5 years ago. Think about that.

His act is old and tired. And kind of pathetic.

No, we need to hire the best coach we can. Maybe it is Kelsey, but what in his resume would indicate that?

He took over a program that dominated the Big South in the prior decade and has made the NCAAs once in 8 years.

If we could assign probabilities to it, Id say he likely is. Seems like the best chance to get Wake consistently back to a winning culture is to hire someone with a Prosser-like resume / persona. We've made risky/bold (albeit stupid) hires the last 3 rounds and here we stand in the cellar 15 years later. That being said, a "go young" hire would be a different sorta bold /risky move.

I'm not anti Wes Miller at all. But we can and should do better. He should be Plan C. And no way should we hire Pat Kelsey as much as I liked him when he was on staff.

LOL - Quite a number of posters on this board were already in full-fledged panic mode when he wasn't immediately dispatched to a weather station in Alaska after his post-game press conference on Tuesday.

I fully expect the "He's coming BACK" rumor mill to hit a fever pitch over this weekend.

Some of y'all are making Col Angus the voice of reason around here. That makes me a :panda:

Every post above that doesn’t give a reasonable solution—including exact names you can be judged by—is laughable.

I’m not saying that Miller or Odom would be my top choices as far as all coaches in the universe, but I agree with Drew to the extent that I think Wake is kind of a unique place and it’s important that a coach understand the university. It’s often said that Skip “got” Wake Forest in a way that I don’t think our other basketball coaches since him have. I don’t know if Miller or Odom get us, but I’m guessing they do more than others.

Another thing that may be good to keep in mind is that other than their coaching resumes, we don’t know much about these coaches, their values, how they get along with people, and how they may fit at Wake, so I think you have to trust your AD to make that judgment. Skip was by all account just a phenomenal teacher and man, but we had no idea of that when he was hired in 2001. Last time around, the dude from GW, Lonergan, was a name that was mentioned. He had a pretty strong resume. Wife was just okay, but acceptable. A couple years later, it came out that the dude was a monster and he was fired and appears to be out of coaching all together. Anyway, another place where an AD having familiarity with the coach would be helpful.

I’m not saying that Miller or Odom would be my top choices as far as all coaches in the universe, but I agree with Drew to the extent that I think Wake is kind of a unique place and it’s important that a coach understand the university. It’s often said that Skip “got” Wake Forest in a way that I don’t think our other basketball coaches since him have. I don’t know if Miller or Odom get us, but I’m guessing they do more than others.

Another thing that may be good to keep in mind is that other than their coaching resumes, we don’t know much about these coaches, their values, how they get along with people, and how they may fit at Wake, so I think you have to trust your AD to make that judgment. Skip was by all account just a phenomenal teacher and man, but we had no idea of that when he was hired in 2001. Last time around, the dude from GW, Lonergan, was a name that was mentioned. He had a pretty strong resume. Wife was just okay, but acceptable. A couple years later, it came out that the dude was a monster and he was fired and appears to be out of coaching all together. Anyway, another place where an AD having familiarity with the coach would be helpful.

It’s more important for the coach to be good at winning basketball games. A lot more important.

And Wake may be a unique place, but it’s not that difficult to understand.

Guys like Turner and Miller should be brought in for interviews if we swing and miss on bigger names.

After we swing and miss on those two is when you bring Kelsey and Odom in (in that order).

It’s more important for the coach to be good at winning basketball games. A lot more important.

And Wake may be a unique place, but it’s not that difficult to understand.

Of course we want a coach that wins. I suspect that whoever we hire will have some 20-win seasons on the resume. I don’t fear Currie will pull a Wellman and hire a guy coming off 3 straight losing seasons at Colorado.

I’m saying that if we don’t get Shaka, and we’re turned down by Matta and Oats (which I expect), when we get down to the Miller/Odom/Turner/Charleston guy/Rhoades/directional Kentucky school tier, because their resumes are all gonna have some good things and some question marks, hiring a guy who Currie thinks will be a good fit for Wake is understandable.

Based on all those guys I would take Russell Turner. Coached in the acc's coached in the NBA he took of Irvine program that was terrible and is built it into sustained success Beyond a single class of players

Why do I feel like we are keeping Manning for another year? If there’s not a press conference on Monday it seems like we’re stuck.

Back