• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Louisville)

Agree that they are winnable games... but we'll only be favored in 2 or 3 of them. 4-5 would be a great result (and still only gets us to 4-8 in the ACC)

I wouldn't go so far as to say 4-5 would be a "great" result. A great result would be getting our first ACC home win against GA Tech, splitting the Syracuse/UNC games, beating Clemson/VaTech/FSU who are all worse then us in Kenpom, then taking 2 of the 3 games against NC State, GA Tech, and Miami. That would be "great" in the pre-Bzz sense of the word.

4-5 would be pretty average. Worse than that would be disappointing.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 4-5 would be a "great" result. A great result would be getting our first ACC home win against GA Tech, splitting the Syracuse/UNC games, beating Clemson/VaTech/FSU who are all worse then us in Kenpom, then taking 2 of the 3 games against NC State, GA Tech, and Miami. That would be "great" in the pre-Bzz sense of the word.

4-5 would be pretty average. Worse than that would be disappointing.

Prepare to be disappointed. I meant "great" in the context of expectations (which I think would be 2-7 or 3-6). Clemson and FSU may be worse than us in Kenpom, but those games are on the road.

No argument from me, though... if we go 7-2 in the next 9 after Duke, that would be a "great" result for pretty much any program. I just don't think it is realistic with this roster.

Is the Wake/Louisville game replay available anywhere? Only highlights on youtube.

Almost as bad as "free throws are free" is the "rebounding is all about effort" line. Effort certainly plays a major part in it but good rebounders are also very skilled rebounders. Things like timing jumps, knowing how to get your body in position, anticipating misses, etc. are not things where everyone is just on an equal footing with the only difference being effort.

word, but some people even extend that to "defense is all effort and hustle" which is the worst of all

What we need is a return to fundamental basketball. I've had it up to proverbial here with all this showboating slam dunking razzmatazz. Practice should be chest pass, bounce pass, free throw drills.

What we need is a return to fundamental basketball. I've had it up to proverbial here with all this showboating slam dunking razzmatazz. Practice should be chest pass, bounce pass, free throw drills.

No problem with better fundamentals. Everyone can support that. However, college basketball is entertainment, otherwise no one would show up or tune in.

We had some pretty nice games under Skip
I never thought the team had the fundamentals under Skip that we had under Odom and what I've seen the past couple of games under Manning. Skip relied on athleticism and motivation more than fundamentals and defense. We're going to get outgunned in games like tonight but I don't think it'll be a cakewalk for most teams we face...like we have been in the past, especially on the road. Defensive intensity usually isn't home/road dependent like shooting can be. JMO.

I never thought the team had the fundamentals under Skip that we had under Odom and what I've seen the past couple of games under Manning. Skip relied on athleticism and motivation more than fundamentals and defense. We're going to get outgunned in games like tonight but I don't think it'll be a cakewalk for most teams we face...like we have been in the past, especially on the road. Defensive intensity usually isn't home/road dependent like shooting can be. JMO.

jho's sr year team was an excellent defensive team

Yeah according to KenPom (#allhailKenPom) it was 47th in the nation. That's the third best at Wake since 2002, behind Dino's last two years. Dino's three years here are three of the best four defensive teams we've had since 2002. Packline help or hurt the athleticism on that team? Debate has been had but stats don't lie.

I think we would have been nearly as good without the packline but it definitely stifled our offense. Teague, JJ, and Rouq should have been all up in the passing lanes and pressuring the ball. Would have created more fast breaks where we were just silly.

Back