• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (NC State)

The difference in talent is overwhelming, and should not be missed. Manning is a better coach than Gott, but the staff at state has been there a while and has been doing a really good job on the recruiting trail. Next season the talent disparity will be much less.
I think we're one more recruiting class away. By all accounts, Doral won't be much of a factor next year. Crawford seems like a pass-first PG. Collins may start alongside Devin I guess though. We need more shooters. Hopefully Manning can nab a quality postgrad.

I think we're one more recruiting class away. By all accounts, Doral won't be much of a factor next year. Crawford seems like a pass-first PG. Collins may start alongside Devin I guess though. We need more shooters. Hopefully Manning can nab a quality postgrad.
I concur.

I'm not pleased to lose any game, including the Wolfies, but I am very pleased to have Manning as coach. He and his staff are severely handicapped by having almost no one who can shoot the ball, but except when we threw the ball away his offensive schemes usually resulted in open shots or free throws. I don't know of anything better a coach can do with this team, and I am glad we have him.

1976 makes a great point that neither Wrangor nor I mentioned. Danny's schemes have consistently getting a ton of FTs. In nine games we have taken over 250 FTS. What's scary is with better player even this number will grow.

1976 makes a great point that neither Wrangor nor I mentioned. Danny's schemes have consistently getting a ton of FTs. In nine games we have taken over 250 FTS. What's scary is with better player even this number will grow.

Yes, Even the bad 2013 Tulsa team with all freshman were 24th/350 in free throw rate. 40th last year at Tulsa. 30th so far this year.

Probably enough data there for that to be a trend. The downside to this is Danny's teams have never taken many 3s, which is the most efficient shot. So it's a balancing act.

Wake was even higher in FT rate last year. I'm not sure if it's more the result of coaching or the result of having 2 guards who are pretty much strictly drivers.

How do we know Danny is a good coach? Take last night. We have one 4* player. State had 4- 4* players and 1 -5* player. we played them competitively.

It's unimaginable to me that wake would ever be in the position to have only one 4* on our roster.

Our offense gets tons of easy shots. We get to the FT a lot. each of these is due to good coaching.

Our team isn't playing great D, but they are put in the right positions. This shows coaching.

I thought DM outcoached Gottfried last night. But John Wooden on his best day could not win with this group.

We played with very good effort last nite. I do not agree that our d was terrible. They made a ton of tough shots.

The key to the game is the placement of the ball into the basket. We are terrible at that. State clearly better. College basketball has become a game of shooting. We are very limited there. It was also be terrific if Codi could learn to dribble with his left hand. He played very hard, and is a tremendous athlete. He is not improving his skill level as a basketball player.

I think Washington needs more run.

My general assessment is that we are obviously not a very good team, but we are competent. We just don't have the horses. Being competent is a step in the right direction.

It feels like teams this year have made more contested threes and long twos than in a long time. We still have lapses defensively, but teams are just making a lot of shots against us.

While it may seem like that, we have actually gotten a bit lucky on 3 point defense this year. Teams are shooting 31% against us for the season, and as discussed a million times, that isn't a number you can really control*. Long 2's it is hard to tell.

*for the most part

That seems distorted by the Tulane and 2 big home wins. Those teams shot so terribly that maybe the last few games were cancelled out.

I'm a little more optimistic about what those guys will do next year. With a real center and a real point, Devin and Codi can play 4 and 2, which is what they should be doing. Obviously it is not helpful that Codi can't shoot, but he does have an effective drive game, and hopefully Crawford can free him up more than our other ball handlers.

Yeah, that's probably right. Seems were unlucky in the Minnesota/Del St. 2 game stretch and experienced our good luck when we didn't need it. Which would be unlucky W/L wise. So I'm probably wrong.

Freshman that improve their stats in ACC play vs. nonconference foes usually have bright futures. Will Mitchell, Crab, and Dinos step it up in conference play or fade? That is what I will view as a key indicator going forward to next season.

What is bizarre is that the schtick for recruiting for the prior regime was they team would play fast and take an early open perimeter shot. We'd get lower rated recruits but these would be players with the skills to execute in such an offense. Instead we recruited lower rated players with glaring weaknesses (namely shooting). I have not idea how they thought this roster would ever win--what would the offense look like? We basically threw shit at the wall for 4 years recruiting and this is what you get.

Manning can't work miracles with this roster but we are heading in the right direction. We need to close on Kwe and not f-around for 2016.

Freshman that improve their stats in ACC play vs. nonconference foes usually have bright futures. Will Mitchell, Crab, and Dinos step it up in conference play or fade? That is what I will view as a key indicator going forward to next season.

Greek Deac will have some growing pains scoring, but I really like his rebounding ability. Has great hands and is aggressive.

Mitchell is clearly playing better than Shelton Mitchell at Vandy. So it looks like Manning had a good eye on that call-at least so far.

Back