• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Posters that get shit on...

Agree with Nonny to an extent with regard to pleasantries with meeting new people, but I also think that in general people are much bigger assholes on message boards/internet in general than real life. Hiding behind a username and a computer screen without any physical contact will turn otherwise timid or non-confrontational people into dbags

freekn, deaccav, and bbd will probably all confirm that I am a bigger asshole in real life than on the boards.

While the overarching theme of this thread is most posters are actually nice people, and I don't disagree with that, it also must be noted the difference between meeting someone and interacting with them on a near daily basis.

We all have good manners and know how to behave when meeting new people. Rarely are you going to find someone who actually acts like an asshole when meeting new people. However, on the boards, you are interacting with people beyond just pleasantries.

If I met TheReff in person, we would be very friendly I am sure. However, if we started discussing the reffing in the NCAA, I have a feeling I would very quickly be annoyed by him. Similarly, if people started talking to OGD about religion, many posters would still be turned off by him.

Maybe I'm just an asshole for thinking this but I think I'm just saying how it is.

I'll add that most of us have met each other in the context of getting ready to watch a Wake sporting even. While we may want different things in the longer term for Wake sports like a new AD or coach, at the time we meet, we all want the same thing, a Wake win. So there's little disagreement about the basics when we meet.

This is particularly true when we meet each other at road/neutral games and there's even fewer of us. If I see a guy like rjkarl or keeper at the Dean Dome, the differences between us on the internet or meaningless.

I met The Reff at the Baylor football game in Waco a few years ago. Seemed like a good guy to me.

RJ and I have had beers on a couple of occasions when he has been in Dallas. He gets into politics and I just tell him to STFU and stick to Wake hoops and we're fine. His brain runs a mile a minute and he's hard to keep up with, so the beers help. When I see him change topics in the same thread, I always have a good laugh because that's just the way he's wired. RJ is a standup guy.

Almost to a man, everyone that I've ever thought was an asshole turned out to be cool when you're face-to-face. I say that as the king of the assholes, or at least a member of the royal family. Granted there are some on here who just need to stay in their respective isolated, anti-social caves which are lit only by computer screens, with hollow eyes and twisted looks of desperate outrage at everything that appears on these message boards.

Fuck 'em. 81Deac and I disagree on probably everything politically (pretty much describes most people here). He's definitely someone you want your spouse and kids to meet at a tailgate. Same for PhDeac, Liquid, NYDeac, 65Deac, Racer, Marqueezzzz, godeacsetal, Turf, Naz,and even Donald Ross, Esq. And I've definitely had disagreements with these guys. And everyone one of them can grab a beer from my cooler any day. Apologies to anyone I overlooked (like my babe DeaconPeach).

I can't think of a stupider reason to fucking up a possible friendship than something said on a message board.

Please don't lump me in with those losers.

the doofus twins tried to pickpocket me the first time I met them.

Never turn your back on them.

You were the first poster that came to mind. Nothing personal, just sayin'.

Ha. It seems to me that like 60% of posters like me. And that like 95% of people in real life do.

Not sure what that says, just seems to be the case to me. I fully acknowledge that I'm much more of a dick on here than in real life.

Of course...in real life if I really disagree with something then I'll be sure to let that known as well.

The first time I met apetit he slapped my beer out my hand.

I don't know whatever happened to magnolia, but I always thought he was kind of an obnoxious poster. Then I met him at a game-watching thing at CCSP in DC and changed my mind.

Back