• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pox Party?

ProfessorDeac

Reaction score
http://www.kpho.com/story/15896021/...iseases?redirected=true#.TqtAEAcS37E.facebook

The Facebook group is called "Find a Pox Party in Your Area." According to the group's page, it is geared toward "parents who want their children to obtain natural immunity for the chicken pox."

On the page, parents post where they live and ask if anyone with a child who has the chicken pox would be willing to send saliva, infected lollipops or clothing through the mail.

Parents also use the page to set up play dates with children who currently have chicken pox.

Medical experts say the most troubling part of this is parents are taking pathogens from complete strangers and deliberately infecting their children.

One concern is that they are sending the virus through the mail.

A Facebook post reads, "I got a Pox Package in mail just moments ago. I have two lollipops and a wet rag and spit." Another woman warns, "This is a federal offense to intentionally mail a contagion."

Parents have always had pox parties. They just didn't use FB to organize it. I remember going to the house of a girl I didn't really know well when I was 5 to sleep in her bed with her and get pox. Sending it through the mail is epically stupid though.

Last edited:
I don't think these anti-vaccine dumbasses realize how serious the chicken pox can be. Hopefully the kids don't go deaf because their parents are idiots.

I remember there was a two month period of 2nd grade where just about every kid was out for a few days during the contagious time.

As others have said, agreed that it's absolutely insane to mail the stuff.

Hope all of the postal workers have had varicella as a kid so they don't get sick from handling these packages...people are so dumb.

I remember all of us neighborhood kids were put together to play anytime one had chickenpox so the rest would catch it. I imagine it had something to do with how serious it can be if contracted as an adult.

I was the only one that made it through childhood without catching it. At the age of 34, I contracted chickenpox from my grandmother who had shingles. Go figure. No pox party for me, I was under strict quarantine by doctors, employer, family, etc. It was a great week off from work.

I didn't get chicken pox until I was 17. The worst day of my outbreak happened to be when I had to take the SAT.

I never took that South Park episode seriously.

hey you know what's cool about chickenpox? the shingles you get when you're 60

I still have not had them. Kind of pissed that my parents didn't send me to a pox party.

I never had them, then got the vaccine as an adult several years ago. Some people have a mild case after exposure and never get a full blow case. That might have happened to me.

I never had them, then got the vaccine as an adult several years ago. Some people have a mild case after exposure and never get a full blow case. That might have happened to me.

What were your side effects from the vaccine? I should probably get it considering I am a camp director.

I still have not had them. Kind of pissed that my parents didn't send me to a pox party.

go get the vaccine. getting pox as an adult is not good. one of my high school teachers was in the hospital for days and out of school for a month when she got adult chickenpox.

I was the only one that made it through childhood without catching it. At the age of 34, I contracted chickenpox from my grandmother who had shingles. Go figure. No pox party for me, I was under strict quarantine by doctors, employer, family, etc. It was a great week off from work.

Similar...I had it when I was about 34 as well. It was miserable for the first three or four days, then I enjoyed the rest of the week off.

My wife got them at around 23. She then gave them to about half her company's kids via a Christmas Party. She did not know she had them at the time obv.

Back