• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Practice Reports

jpdeac

Reaction score
Anyone know when the Deacs begin and what the August practice schedule will be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Coach Claw will close practices to the public.
He apparently doesn't need to. They have been throwing for weeks and no one has laid eyes upon them. Tried to get someone who has seen the freshman QB's throw, give an assessment. Whoever can adjust to the speed of the game the quickest will more than likely be the starter. Oh well, 7 days till they get started for real.

It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not ... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ... And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now.

I seem to remember hearing early on that most of Claw's practices would be closed but that there would be select open ones.

More and more coaches are trying to control the flow of information out of practices by limiting who gets to view them. The majority of D1 schools limit media and fans for practice. Grobe was WAY to liberal and our program needs as much concealment as possible this season. That's effing why.

How do you close practices in that location? Just ask people to leave who hang out by the wall? People can see practice if they are entering Miller.

Grobe's open practices were only good for the wall watchers and AD plants. I'm appreciating the lack of BS coming out of the football program this summer.

I expect them to keep some practices open and do a better job of encouraging the public to attend. Need some excitement around this dumpster fire.

Looking forward to first-hand reports from local posters. Personally, I'm really interested in the impact that Coach Scheier will hopefully have on Kinal and Hedlund as well as who will be returning punts and kick-offs. Scheier's resume' just jumps off the page at you. The guy obviously has a Frank Beamer type nack for results on special teams....something we never had under Grobe.

Special teams is more than one guy even if that one guy is Plack or Swank.

This is true...but other than the QB, I don't know if there is a single player who can have more of an impact on an entire unit than the kicker. Hell, it may be an even greater impact than the QB on offense. I mean, a kickoff out of the endzone means you can have 10 scrubs out there who do nothing, and a punter who can spot the ball, or boom one deep and out of bounds...I would say coaching specials with Swank as your kicker had to be the easiest job to be good at.

Scoring without much offense production, changing field position even when the offense doesn't move the ball, protecting us from giving up routine 40 yard kickoff returns...Once we can pay players we pretty much need to franchise the best kicker in every class.

Last edited:
This is true...but other than the QB, I don't know if there is a single player who can have more of an impact on an entire unit than the kicker. Hell, it may be an even greater impact than the QB on offense. I mean, a kickoff out of the endzone means you can have 10 scrubs out there who do nothing, and a punter who can spot the ball, or boom one deep and out of bounds...I would say coaching specials with Swank as your kicker had to be the easiest job to be good at.

Scoring without much offense production, changing field position even when the offense doesn't move the ball, protecting us from giving up routine 40 yard kickoff returns...Once we can pay players we pretty much need to franchise the best kicker in every class.

Grobe never had good kickers?

Logan Feimster is one of the best long snappers in the country.

Haha. You can tell we had Grobe as a coach for too long. Someone mentions special teams and people just post about the kicker, punter, and long snapper.

In order for the special teams to be special, we need to have serious pressure on punts and kicks and we definitely need a better return game. Special teams that depend on two or three guys doing their job perfectly aren't going to be special enough.

You said it was more than just kickers and punters, I noted that we have one of the best long snappers in the country.

You were reading too much into my post. Wasn't defending or sugarcoating anything---just making a statement about a person on our special teams.

No shit. He specifically talked about the effect coaching would have on our two kickers though, hence the response.

The idea that Grobe's best teams were awful on special teams is absurd.

Back