• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Obama to propose 2 years of free community college for all students

It is naive to think that there shouldn't be loopholes to a consumption tax. People have to eat.

"Obama better keep his hands off my $500 tab."

Somewhat pertinent to this thread (at least the 529s and college costs):

On Jan. 30, the [Wake Forest] Board of Trustees approved a 3.25 percent tuition increase for the 2015-2016 academic year. With changes in room, board and other fees, the overall cost of attendance is expected to be approximately $64,540.

Still on pace to be $100K by the time my kindergarten son graduates high school.

Still on pace to be $100K by the time my kindergarten son graduates high school.

I've already come to grips with the fact that none of my kids will be attending MSD without either a scholarship or my wife staying on long enough to get us the partial tuition waiver.

I've already come to grips with the fact that none of my kids will be attending MSD without either a scholarship or my wife staying on long enough to get us the partial tuition waiver.

What if they bomb the SAT?

Well, which is it? Mythology or probability? Tune in Monday for the exciting conclusion to find out!

Related topic: http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/22311-income-inequality-debate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...45db4a-83a2-11e3-8099-9181471f7aaf_story.html

Because there’s so much inequality, people born near the bottom tend to stay near the bottom, and that’s much more consequential than it was 50 years ago.”

Americans have always placed great faith in economic mobility, the idea that any child born into poverty can grow up to be middle class, or that a middle-class kid can grow up to be rich.

mobility is getting worse; that it is getting harder to climb out of poverty or into wealth.

Previous research has suggested that that might be true, particularly work by Bhash Mazumder, a senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago who found mobility declined as inequality increased in the 1980s.

That finding implies mobility is stuck at a low rate, at least compared to other wealthy nations: It is much harder for a poor child born in America to climb into the rare air of the country’s highest earners than it is for a similar child in, for example, Canada or Denmark.

Last edited:
Consumption taxes are incredibly regressive. Don't understand remedying rich people using loopholes to get out of taxes by just not taxing them.

It is an extremely rewarding thing to see your own children on that campus having some of the same experiences you yourself did when you were younger. Living and dying together as a multigenerational family with the Deacons is really, really special. I would rather move to Somalia than give that up.

But fuck that. We, as a society, have decided that some of the more fortunate families will be asked to invest a little more in the education of other people's children. And your family has been elected. Congrats.

It's a cross-thread see-how-disingenuous-you-can-be contest between tjcmd and tjcmd and guess who's winning?!?!

And there's a lot of entrepreneurship opportunities here as well. Instead of working as an electrician, start your own electrician business. There's risk, of course, but serious money to be made if successful.

In the college graduate/non-graduate salary comparisons, do they factor in student debt? The article says the "averages lie" because it includes low paying retail jobs with higher paying jobs for non-grads. I wonder if they include student debt in their equation?

Good post jhmd. It has been a serious mistake letting out vocational programs languish and pretending that every American can and should get a 4 year college degree.

I grew up in a rural place that still had, and has, the "shop" out behind the high school. There were many kids I knew in high school who never would have graduated if "shop" hadn't been an option for them, and they ended up becoming productive citizens because of the skills they learned.

I agree that we should be encouraging more vocational aspirations among the youth, but the flip side of that coin is that we should maintain and improve the economic safety net for people who choose those paths, instead of treating them as failures who didn't take advantage of 12 year educations.

Back