• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICIAL 2016/17 Premier League

On replay that should be a yellow for a dive by Costa

Kante dangerously close to a straight red there. I think if he scissors, its a sending off, but seemed to be more of a slip than a malicious challenge.

Got a deserved yellow either way.

Ward-Prowse is probably my favorite non-United player in the Prem right now.

Diego Costa probably mad that he didn't connect on the bicycle kick.

Watching United the last few matches - I have the same question I had the last few years. WTF on earth have they spent all that money on? Just an astonishing amount of cash and yet still a bunch of players that are mid table type players at best are out there wearing red shirts. Guys like Fellaini, Lindgard, Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Valencia, etc are still far too prominently involved for a team that has spent so damn much money. And it's hard to be too harsh on Shaw as he's still coming back from that horror leg break, but he's not very good at all right now and it's embarrassing that United have no other option except cross their fingers and hope he's good again.

This was United's bench today: Romero, Blind, Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Young, Memphis ... outside of Mata, that's a pretty depressing read. That's definitely not the bench of a team that's spend $TEXAS$ the past several years.

For comparison - the team United have spent the most like the past few years is PSG. In their match this weekend they had Javier Pastore, Marco Verratti and Thiago Silva on the bench. For the money that United has spent, that's what their bench should be looking like too.

United spent 36m euros on Ander Herrera, 35m euros on Morgan Schneiderlin and 34m euros on Memphis Depay. I'm not sure any of those players would consistently get on the field for any of the teams in the current top 6. That's not counting the money pissed away on busts like Rojo. It's shocking how badly the giant Scrooge McDuck pile of money has been spent. It's like the first few years of the Manchester City "project" where they spent tons of cash on fucking average players.

That being said, United has more money to spend next year and the year after next and the year after next and they will get smart with it soon.

All of those bolded. If there were at Everton or Southampton or West Ham they'd just be some guys who play but nobody notices. Let's take them 1 by 1.

Daly Blind - utility player, good at several positions but great at none. Was a good, but not star, player at Ajax and is part of the worst Netherlands national side in ages. He's the very definition of "a dude"
Antonio Valencia - an aging winger who isn't good at being a winger anymore who has become a league average fullback
Chris Smalling - he's 26 now, he's not that young anymore and he's not gotten any better. Another in a long line of bang average centerbacks that United has pumped out over the last 15 years. He'll be at Sunderland in a few years following the Wes Brown career path (re-read this, that's a huge insult to Wes Brown who was a far better player than Smalling - one of the underrated pieces of SAF's United squads ... we'll call it the Jonny Evans career path instead).
Ander Herrera - had one good season at Bilboa and can't lock down a spot in United's crap midfield. He's the best of these players, but if he played for West Ham for sure nobody would notice him as being out of place.
Luke Shaw - was a great young talent, is crap on a crap cracker right now and may never recover from his injury. It'll be a shame if so, but right now he's a worse than league average fullback
Morgan Scheiderlin - was considered an average midfielder for his entire career (no France callups, playing in a lower league, etc), had one tremendous season in a system that fit him perfectly and is now right back to being very, very average. The outlier for him is the good year he had at Southampton, not the rest of his career (see: Lovren, Dejan)

Yeah, he's an Everton/Southampton level player. Sometimes those players have brilliant games, but they don't have the consistency to bring it on a regular basis.

He's Spanish for Yohan Cabaye - a MF who looks great one moment then total trash another and can never really lock down a spot at the highest level for that reason. Those guys always end up on some team 8th in the table playing every week and leaving you feeling slightly unfulfilled.

(Mousa Dembele might be in this conversation based on the way he's played this season, btw - was utterly tremendous last season and is now back to randomly in and out of games like he was earlier in his career).

Unbelievable pass from Herrera, he's a great little player isn't he?

I just wanted to take halftime to go through vad's evolution on Ander Herrera. One of the best #8s in the Prem this season, I think.

Also, enjoyed seeing his comment on Rojo from the start of the season considering his apparent renewed man crush for him now.

Last edited:
Back