• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

I'm having trouble synching this:

Autonomy to do what exactly? Yes, a child's right live is more important than a woman's right to not be pregnant for 9 months. I think that is a pretty easy value judgement. We make decisions like this all the time. You are saying that 9 months of not being pregnant is more valuable than a human life. That is convenience no matter how you spin it. The life of the mother isn't in danger, the life of the child's is. We don't, but we ought to prioritize the life of an innocent child over the inconvenience (a VERY VERY LARGE one to be exact) of a normal pregnancy.

You can call it autonomy, but what is she autonomous to do during that 9 months without a baby that she is unable to do with a baby?

With this:

if men had babies humans would die after one generation

Agree with this. It is really ridiculous what a woman goes through to have a child.

Is pregnancy a mere inconvenience, or ridiculous and something a man couldn't handle?

Autonomy to do what exactly? Yes, a child's right live is more important than a woman's right to not be pregnant for 9 months. I think that is a pretty easy value judgement. We make decisions like this all the time. You are saying that 9 months of not being pregnant is more valuable than a human life. That is convenience no matter how you spin it. The life of the mother isn't in danger, the life of the child's is. We don't, but we ought to prioritize the life of an innocent child over the inconvenience (a VERY VERY LARGE one to be exact) of a normal pregnancy.

You can call it autonomy, but what is she autonomous to do during that 9 months without a baby that she is unable to do with a baby?

Actually you are saying that other people are saying that. I'm saying that at worse, Abortion is prioritizing the rights of women over certain lives (fetuses under 24 weeks). That is something many allegedly "pro-life" people are willing to do in the context of the death penalty and war.

I think your definition of personhood is bizarre and am pro-choice because I think a woman's right of autonomy is more important than the life of a non-viable fetus (which does not meet my definition of personhood).

Saw CNN article today that Daleiden (the guy who made the videos that stirred up the PP controversy) has now admitted that the 19 week old fetus he showed was not from a PP and he found it on the Internet.

Again we just disagree on the ending "human life" characterization. Seems to me that taking plan B would "end human life" under your definition

Saw CNN article today that Daleiden (the guy who made the videos that stirred up the PP controversy) has now admitted that the 19 week old fetus he showed was not from a PP and he found it on the Internet.

It doesn't matter. The point wasn't to be factual, the point was to rile up people, truth be damned.

The damage is done and most people will never find out the truth. This is ACORN 2.0.

I watched my wife battle through 2 children. It is a massive inconvenience, but it is still an inconvenience. Sitting at a red light is an inconvenience, sitting at Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta for 3 hours is also an inconvenience. You are assuming I mean the former when I mean the latter. I have all the respect in the world for pregnant woman. I just don't believe it excuses ending human life to avoid it.

Comparing pregnancy to sitting in three hours of traffic is not a whole lot less dismissive than comparing pregnancy to sitting at a red light, IMO.

So there are about 25 videos and 1 of them is not factual...so that discredits everything? Classic diversion.

None of the videos have been proven to be factual. There has been no proof of any wrongdoing by PP from anyone. Even Chaffetz said last week there is no evidence of wrongdoing after he pored over a voluminous record.

Yeah, war is messy and should be avoided at all cost. Even in a just war, you are going to have clean blood on your hands. It is an unfortunate, necessary evil.

I think both pro-life and pro-choice advocates alike would say the same thing about abortion. And yet the "pro-life" party is currently trying to defund an organization that does a tremendous amount of work to prevent the need for abortions in the first place.

Instead of embracing and advocating for policies that would help prevent unwanted pregnancies, "pro-lifers" sit around waiting for half the population to come around.

Back