• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Texas Judge Grants Woman’s Request for Abortion, in Rare Post-Roe Case

Ms. Cox’s fetus was found to have trisomy 18, a genetic condition that in all but very rare cases leads to miscarriage or stillbirth, or to the infant’s death within the first year. Her lawyers said she had visited the emergency room four times because of pain and discharge — including once after her suit was filed on Tuesday — but that doctors had told her that under Texas law, she had to continue her pregnancy.

After the ruling, Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter to top hospital officials in Houston, where Ms. Cox’s doctor practices, saying she and hospital staff could still face criminal and civil penalties, despite the judge’s order.

“The T.R.O. will not insulate you, or anyone else,” Mr. Paxton wrote, adding that it would expire “long before the statute of limitations for violating Texas’ abortion laws expires.”

Just a reminder when people try to argue that we could "compromise" on an x week ban, the proposed bans generally come before many potential fetal abnormalities are detected. Which means we're basically leaving families that are already going through one of the most painful moments of their lives open to harassment and threats from ghoulish, opportunistic politicians. (In the best case scenario.)

Texas AG threatens healthcare providers who may give Kate Cox an abortion

“The temporary restraining order granted by the Travis County district judge purporting to allow an abortion to proceed will not insulate hospitals, doctors or anyone else from civil and criminal liability for violating Texas’ abortion laws,” Paxton said in a statement shortly after the judge’s decision. “This includes first degree felony prosecutions…and civil penalties of not less than $100,000 for each violation.

Paxton added, ominously: “The [judge’s temporary restraining order] will expire long before the statute of limitations for violating Texas’ abortion laws expires.”

After the ruling, Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter to top hospital officials in Houston, where Ms. Cox’s doctor practices, saying she and hospital staff could still face criminal and civil penalties, despite the judge’s order.

“The T.R.O. will not insulate you, or anyone else,” Mr. Paxton wrote, adding that it would expire “long before the statute of limitations for violating Texas’ abortion laws expires.”

Good grief. It’s almost like Republicans are in a race to see who can be the biggest [wicked, destructive] idiot/asshole.

Almost?

They've been in a race to be the dumbest common denominator for a long time.

Same people want unfettered access to weapons of war for everyone.

Can she leave the state to get the procedure, or is Texas fucked up on that too?

You have the absolute right to own any weapon you want, shoot someone on your property if you are scared, and not bake a gay cake. But you better not exercise your right to travel out of state and choose your own Healthcare options. #statesrights

You have the absolute right to own any weapon you want, shoot someone on your property if you are scared, and not bake a gay cake. But you better not exercise your right to travel out of state and choose your own Healthcare options. #statesrights

Not just on your own property in some of these states.

I mean, these are just truly terrible, evil people. No way around it.

I hope the past 3 years have shown how asinine and stupid the pro-lifer's arguments are. Logically inconsistent, cruel, and hypocrites.

Every single time they lose legally, they move the goalposts. The goal isn't to respect the sanctity of life, it's to demonize women and make their bodies state property. Just disgusting and I hope these folks burn in the supposed hell that they believe in when their time on this earth is over for everything they have done in their carnal life.

If I were a provider I’d give her an abortion anyway. Fuck the consequences
Just to be clear, the consequences could include life in prison + loss of medical license, which would mean that's the last woman they would be able to help.

Not to mention putting everyone who works with you in the same scenario.

Just to be clear, the consequences could include life in prison + loss of medical license, which would mean that's the last woman they would be able to help.

Not to mention putting everyone who works with you in the same scenario.
And $100,000 fines…

If I were a provider I’d give her an abortion anyway. Fuck the consequences
My cousin is a doc in Tennessee and I asked her about this exact potential situation since she takes a complete non-stance on all political issues and is hyper religious.

She said she would 100% immediately do it regardless of consequences. She also seemed very certain any such situation would never actually happen, and also that if it did she could find a way of justifying it medically with some clever documentation efforts.

Every time I see Trump numbers I think about people who just don't care about politics despite living so close to nightmarish outcomes the religious right inflicts on people.

I assume if you did it you would immediately need free legal representation which you probably would get easily, then just putting this in front of a jury you would probably easily be acquitted. Real trouble would be the massive time sink and of course you are taking a gamble.

Back