• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Producers of "Atlas Shrugged Part III" are asking for handouts

Zach Braff raised over $2M for a film via crowdfunding.

At least they're not asking for government tax credits. That would really be embarrassing.

Yeah. I don't think this is hypocritical. It's another way for the rich to help each other out in keeping with their philosophy.

Yeah. I don't think this is hypocritical. It's another way for the rich to help each other out in keeping with their philosophy.

then you either haven't read Atlas Shrugged or missed the point

At least they're not asking for government tax credits. That would really be embarrassing.

Depending on where they make the movie (if they do), states often offer tax credits of all sorts to entice producers.

then you either haven't read Atlas Shrugged or missed the point

Technically they are not asking for a handout. I mean it is pretty clear that the movies suck (I haven't seen them) but they are offering goods in exchange for money. The goods are backstage passes, swag, perks, etc... for the filming of III but they aren't asking for something for nothing technically. I don't think they are breaking the tenants of Ayn Rand although it is pretty clear that their movie product is no Rearden steel.

Rand was in the movie business and EXTREMELY protective of her works when converted to the big screen. She did not like The Fountainhead movie at all (I thought it was solid). Undoubtedly she is flipping in her grave (even though she is in hell because she was an unashamed atheist) over the low budget reproduction of her proudest work.

If these cats had just invested all this money in the stock market when Obama got elected, they would have made some serious coin.

Since when is libertarianism at odds with private fund raising on a voluntary basis? Stupid movie, but even stupider article/post.

Back