• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Professional references on job apps

Freakindeacon33

Reaction score
OK, here's my situation: I'm in my sixth year at the job I got shortly after graduating from Wake, but I'm looking to move on. I want to get out of what is a struggling industry. However, I like my job and the people I work with (on most days) and am in no immediate hurry to leave.

So what do I do when a prospective employer asks for a reference? I think at almost any job you'd rather your boss and co-workers not know you're looking around (that commercial with "I found your resume on the printer" comes to mind), but at my job it's magnified because it's a small department that is already stretched thin, and not to sound vain but I'm really good at what I do, so losing me would be devastating. They'd wish me well if it happens, but if, for example, someone calls my boss asking for a reference, and then I don't end up getting the job, AWKWARD.

I can't be the only one who's ever had this dilemma. Anyone have some advice? I was thinking about telling the prospective employer that I have references but that I'd prefer they not use them unless it's a situation in which that's the last thing they need to check before offering me the job.

OK, here's my situation: I'm in my sixth year at the job I got shortly after graduating from Wake, but I'm looking to move on. I want to get out of what is a struggling industry. However, I like my job and the people I work with (on most days) and am in no immediate hurry to leave.

So what do I do when a prospective employer asks for a reference? I think at almost any job you'd rather your boss and co-workers not know you're looking around (that commercial with "I found your resume on the printer" comes to mind), but at my job it's magnified because it's a small department that is already stretched thin, and not to sound vain but I'm really good at what I do, so losing me would be devastating. They'd wish me well if it happens, but if, for example, someone calls my boss asking for a reference, and then I don't end up getting the job, AWKWARD.

I can't be the only one who's ever had this dilemma. Anyone have some advice? I was thinking about telling the prospective employer that I have references but that I'd prefer they not use them unless it's a situation in which that's the last thing they need to check before offering me the job.

first, get it out of your head that losing you would be devastating. Unless you're the world's only person who can do your job, you will be replaced.

second, get references from people in the industry who know your body of work, if possible.

Unless you tell your boss you are looking around, do not list him/her or any co-worker as a reference.

You absolutely do not want them to find out by getting called as a reference.

Just list me.

If the job application asks for references right off the bat, you can ususally get away with listing lower-level peers as references instead of your bosses.

If wherever you're interviewing asks for references late in the game, you've basically already got the job. I'm assuming you're speaking with an employer that knows the drill on stuff like this.

Employers will understand that you are unable to give references from a current employer, that is commonplace. Offer to present copies of performance reviews, merit increases, long-term goals at current employer, employee file type stuff. Also lis any certifications, etc...

first, get it out of your head that losing you would be devastating. Unless you're the world's only person who can do your job, you will be replaced.

second, get references from people in the industry who know your body of work, if possible.

Appreciate the advice. As to the first part, I knew it would sound vain, but it's the truth- we lost someone who was about my level in November, and we still haven't recovered from the fact that the new guy just isn't as good. I work at a newspaper, and my department is already woefully short-handed from cutbacks the past few years, so any drop-off in quality of one of the five people in my department is crushing.

Employers will understand that you are unable to give references from a current employer, that is commonplace. Offer to present copies of performance reviews, merit increases, long-term goals at current employer, employee file type stuff. Also lis any certifications, etc...

EXCELLENT idea. I actually just got a performance review less than a month ago that should function as a glowing reference from my boss, haha. Thanks a ton for the advice.

I know some people have directed our recruiters to the linked in profile for references..... It's ok as a starting point, but when things get serious, peers, former employee's, members of business groups: all of these work.

Basic rules of thumb re: references:

1. They should be 100% trustworthy.
2. They should be scripted.
3. If they don't say you can walk from the Outer Banks to Europe, they shouldn't be your reference.

Basic rules of thumb re: references:

1. They should be 100% trustworthy.
2. They should be scripted.
3. If they don't say you can walk from the Outer Banks to Europe, they shouldn't be your reference.

RJKarl dropping knowledge...I use the "can walk on water without getting feet wet" rule of thumb.

You can list me as a reference.

"Freakin is great. He gets the paper on the porch 99 times out of 100. It's amazing he can do that so well without wrecking his bike."

Back