• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Propane tank rental

WFFaithful

Reaction score
I currently have an underground propane tank which I rent for what seems like a high price. Is there any real downside to purchasing the tank to avoid the yearly rental?

Ouch, sounds like you got a raw deal. My tank was free, but I had to pay to have it buried. I assume since its a rental, if there is any mechanical failure with the valve etc, they would cover the repair cost, but would be your responsibility if you owned the tank.

If able, better to own the tank. Likelihood of a valve problem is minimal. By owning the tank you can price all the propane providers in your area for the cheapest price.

Hank can help you out.

hank-propane.jpg

Ouch, sounds like you got a raw deal. My tank was free, but I had to pay to have it buried. I assume since its a rental, if there is any mechanical failure with the valve etc, they would cover the repair cost, but would be your responsibility if you owned the tank.

The tank was already in the ground when we bought the house. Yes, all maintenance is covered, but the rent is $85 a year plus tax.

The tank was already in the ground when we bought the house. Yes, all maintenance is covered, but the rent is $85 a year plus tax.

WFF...If you will call and check propane prices from your local suppliers you will be surprised in the price quote per gal. I have a 250 gal tank in Ashe County and when I checked prices from suppliers in West Jefferson, Boone and N. Wilkesboro there was a 70 cent spread from the lowest to the highest provider. BREMCO which is Blue Ridge Electric was the highest at well over $2 gal. and the lowest provider, an independent was $1.55. These prices are changing daily with the volatility in the energy markets...Good Luck!

While I understand 85. seems high, it is probably in line with what others charge. I have a one hundred pound above ground in the NC mountains and the rental is 55. per year. I am limited to one local supplier, but I try to beat the system by ordering propane in the summertime when prices generally are the lowest rather than in the winter when prices are the highest. I rarely use more than the one tank per year though. A few years ago I temporarily lived in the house a couple of winters and I was able to negotiate the rental down to $0.00 per year (just asked) since I was purchasing more propane than usual.
Good Luck.

If you are renting the tank they are charging you a higher price/gallon on the gas too. I would contact them and tell them to either waive the rent fee since you have to buy the gas from them anyway, sell it to you, or tell them to come dig it up and get it out of your yard. Carolane is notorious for gouging the prices. When I bought my house I told them either to sell the tank to me or remove it. They were charging $0.30/gallon more to customers renting tanks than if you own your tank. And of course as others mentioned, you can shop around on gas if you own your tank.

If you are renting the tank they are charging you a higher price/gallon on the gas too. I would contact them and tell them to either waive the rent fee since you have to buy the gas from them anyway, sell it to you, or tell them to come dig it up and get it out of your yard. Carolane is notorious for gouging the prices. When I bought my house I told them either to sell the tank to me or remove it. They were charging $0.30/gallon more to customers renting tanks than if you own your tank. And of course as others mentioned, you can shop around on gas if you own your tank.

this

Back