• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Alec Morris commits to Wake

I think right now that's a tough thing to judge since there's a year between them. But I will say this... Kevin Sousa is a kid who will require a lot of coaching, but his upside is unbelievable. He only completed a bit more than 50% of his passes as a senior in high school, but he's been playing for such a short time that you have to look at the big picture: former basketball star with a strong arm, great athleticism, and a hunger to be "the best" (talk to him for 5 minutes and you'll see that he wants to be the best at whatever he does). If Sousa had been put into a position like Tanner was last year, it's hard to believe, but it probably would have been worse. He's got a lot of learning to do, but again, monster upside.

Morris comes out of one of the biggest high school factories in Texas. Allen is consistently in the 5A playoffs in Texas, and they run a spread offense that these kids learn from their time in middle school (much like at Southlake). Quarterbacks from Allen know all about the fundamentals of their position, the way the offense works, and how to be a winner. Morris is probably a guy who could come in and produce more right away, but I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Sousa's. Hope that helps.

That is very helpful. Thanks.

So Billings is the assistant who reeled him in?

This kid looks like another great get for him, he is doing a great job out there.

I think right now that's a tough thing to judge since there's a year between them. But I will say this... Kevin Sousa is a kid who will require a lot of coaching, but his upside is unbelievable. He only completed a bit more than 50% of his passes as a senior in high school, but he's been playing for such a short time that you have to look at the big picture: former basketball star with a strong arm, great athleticism, and a hunger to be "the best" (talk to him for 5 minutes and you'll see that he wants to be the best at whatever he does). If Sousa had been put into a position like Tanner was last year, it's hard to believe, but it probably would have been worse. He's got a lot of learning to do, but again, monster upside.

Morris comes out of one of the biggest high school factories in Texas. Allen is consistently in the 5A playoffs in Texas, and they run a spread offense that these kids learn from their time in middle school (much like at Southlake). Quarterbacks from Allen know all about the fundamentals of their position, the way the offense works, and how to be a winner. Morris is probably a guy who could come in and produce more right away, but I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Sousa's. Hope that helps.

This is very solid analysis.

The wildcard for Morris is "what type of interest will he generate in 2011?" He has continued to grow and fill out (considerably) and he may create interest in state. He is a fast rising prospect who was 200 pounds last year at 6 foot 2. He is 6'4 and 235 now and reportedly not done growing.

Hang on to him Deacons!

Great to see Bzz getting another awesome recruit named Alec. Hopefully he will turn out as good as the other one, who I believe was a lottery pick.

I hope Sousa is the best at studying film. That would be an awesome start.

Back