• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB in the slow mesh

He didn't play due to COVID and now he's playing in the CFL. Plenty of good college players don't make it in the NFL after their college career is over. Hard to call that "completely falling apart."
Agree, but OTOH, when Jamie transferred to UGA he was listed on the top 5 Heisman candidates for the 2020 season, and was projected to be at least a mid-round NFL draft prospect. When Newman did not get drafted and then was cut on the first day of Eagles mini-camp (he was cut before mini-camp ended) and no NFL team even gave him a look, that was a pretty steep fall from grace.

Kudos to Jamie for sticking with it, and getting paid to play football. Not many people get to do that.

I think, based upon nothing but the eye test, our OL is just not as good now as it was in prior years. The inability to run consistently, the fact that Sam is under more pressure- that seems to be the weak link for me offensively. The WRs are great. Sam, while he has bouts of inaccuracy and, like last week, can allow bad play to snowball throughout the game, is still an amazing passer. I think Ellison/Turner/Cooley is a backfield that is comparable to Colburn/Carney.

Not sure why the OL isn't as good (we returned a ton of guys and a ton of experience), but it is a problem.

I know we like to look at that as failing apart, but an objective view of that is he was a good college QB at Wake and the hype magnified because he transferred to UGA. Then he didn't get drafted after over a year without playing in a real game. He didn't change. His game didn't fall off. And he has a professional career.

He didn't play due to COVID and now he's playing in the CFL. Plenty of good college players don't make it in the NFL after their college career is over. Hard to call that "completely falling apart."
I know Newman can do no wrong in your eyes. Being from Atlanta and having a decent number of contacts close to the UGA program - that's simply not an accurate description of what happened based on what I heard from multiple sources, including those of the million plus donation type. I don't care to argue it since you're not going to change your mind, but he lost the starting job and THEN opted out.

OK. So your argument is that according to "multiple sources" he fell apart in practice. Gotcha.

Usually when we talk about an athlete "falling apart" it happens in real games to the point where there's a measurable decline.

He transferred and didn't win the starting job at a much stronger football program. Is that falling apart or not living up to the hype?

I know Newman can do no wrong in your eyes. Being from Atlanta and having a decent number of contacts close to the UGA program - that's simply not an accurate description of what happened based on what I heard from multiple sources, including those of the million plus donation type. I don't care to argue it since you're not going to change your mind, but he lost the starting job and THEN opted out.
That is correct based upon reporting from multiple sources.

Back